News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Thinking of Selling

Started by jbfoster, January 07, 2023, 11:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jbfoster

I have a RadRover 5 I bought Sept of 2020. About 5 months past the warranty was up at 750 miles I got an error code and the bike was dead. I unplugged the brake light and the bike has been fine ever since. When this happened I checked RAD's site and I seen no parts for the Rover 5 so I emailed them several times. All I got was vague answers from them. They would not tell me if they had a brake light and controller still for sale or not. I gave up and have been riding the bike without the brake light. After looking around at all the different brand of E-bikes. They all pretty much have the same bike issues and customer service complaints. Just some more than others. After all my looking the one I ended up liking was $2,400. That is a lot for an E-bike that the industry has common electrical issues. I also want to be able to ride in the rain when needed. I have decided to drop electric and go gas and get a scooter. It's twice the cost but way less issues and I can ride in the rain.

Other than the brake light issue the bike looks really good. No problems with the battery. I haven't noticed any drop in range.

I have no idea what a fare asking price would be for my Rover 5. The only thing that sucks is the issue with the brake light not knowing for sure what is wrong but I guess in the long run it doesn't matter since RAD will not sell or does not have the parts.

What do you all think is a fare asking price?

Thanks
Jim

handlebar

I've read that used ebikes aren't worth much on the market. How about something like this?
https://amzn.to/3ZpiTzl

Before ordering a new light, I'd put an ohmmeter on the connecter to see if the old light is shorted. If it is, I'd snip off the cable and check to be sure it's not shorted. If it's not, you could splice the old cable to the new light to get a suitable connector.

If you still want to sell, a working brake light should make your old bike more appealing.

Eric7

I think all the bikes are like that. That's why I bought Rad - because it was cheap and if the controller breaks, I can get a third-party controller (was it Bolton or something like that).  I like Rad but my bike is a frame with attached components - nothing is especially made for my rad mini st2.  That is good when it comes time to replace things. There is not much custom about it except for the frame.

I worry that if I get a top of the line say Trek or Cannondale ebike and some circuit board breaks, it would cost a lot to fix and the parts would not be available in a few years.

Seems like bikes are good for 5-10 years - depending on how hard you ride. Then, if something breaks, you have to try to fix it with 3rd party parts or buy a new one.  It is too bad things are like that. It is a rapidly changing technology.

Hobbies are not like the old days where you buy one good thing (like a good frame and Campy components) and it last forever.

jbfoster

I got less than 2 years and 1,000 miles on mine when it started having problems. That's not worth the $1,400 I paid for the bike.

Tree

Quote from: jbfoster on January 07, 2023, 07:45:07 PM
I got less than 2 years and 1,000 miles on mine when it started having problems. That's not worth the $1,400 I paid for the bike.

everybody has their own experiences.

I paid $1,999 for mine 12 months ago, and rode 2,500 miles in those 12 months.

handlebar

Quote from: Tree on January 08, 2023, 07:47:53 AM

In 21 months I rode my Radrunner 2800 miles. It worked better than new when I snapped up a Radmission for $500. One reason was reliability. With its oddball wheels, frame, and handlebars, the Radrunner could be grounded for weeks in the event of a breakdown. The Radmission could in general be fixed with readily available parts. Meanwhile, I could ride the Radrunner.

jbfoster

Quote from: handlebar on January 08, 2023, 11:23:29 PM
Quote from: Tree on January 08, 2023, 07:47:53 AM

In 21 months I rode my Radrunner 2800 miles. It worked better than new when I snapped up a Radmission for $500. One reason was reliability. With its oddball wheels, frame, and handlebars, the Radrunner could be grounded for weeks in the event of a breakdown. The Radmission could in general be fixed with readily available parts. Meanwhile, I could ride the Radrunner.

Mine must of been built on a Friday  :( :( :(

nextcity

s

inoxa

you can check craigslist and facebook marketplace for Rad prices.  They have a wide range depending on model and mileage.  I bought a used Rover 5 last summer for $700 with 600 miles on it.  I cleaned it up and sold it for $800 to a friend.  Then I bought another Rover Stepthru for my wife for $900 with 300 miles.  The prices are all over the place.  Some are trying to sell at new retail price for used.  Area 13 will have a replacement controller that will boost your top speed and your take off torque.  My current Rover 5 has 4000 miles with an upgraded controller and higher wattage motor.  Very please except battery life.  If you are thinking new bike then consider Wicked.  It has all the upgrades the RAD doesn't stock.  Good luck.

wilsh

I also think that checking Facebook and Craigslist might be a good choice.

Altema

When my tail light went bad, it caused my controller to error out, and I have a Phaserunner! Replaced the rear light and no problem since.