Author Topic: Throttle disconnect kit  (Read 4013 times)

Traildad

• View Profile
Throttle disconnect kit
« on: January 02, 2023, 12:26:10 AM »
I?ve seen instructions for installing a throttle disconnect kit. It is simply two caps to put on each end of the connector after it is disconnected. I haven?t been able to find how to buy one. I?d like to have the option of disconnecting the throttle to make it legal to ride in CA State Park and Recreation Area trails. Most all those trails are restricted to class 1 e-bikes. Can anyone tell me where to get the disconnect kit?

ElectricRides

• View Profile
    • Electric Rides on YouTube
Re: Throttle disconnect kit
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 05:45:28 AM »
I?ve seen instructions for installing a throttle disconnect kit. It is simply two caps to put on each end of the connector after it is disconnected. I haven?t been able to find how to buy one. I?d like to have the option of disconnecting the throttle to make it legal to ride in CA State Park and Recreation Area trails. Most all those trails are restricted to class 1 e-bikes. Can anyone tell me where to get the disconnect kit?

I believe that you have to purchase the disconnect kits that Rad has directly over the phone.

Si1Dia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 07:29:54 AM »
You need to email or call Rad to get the disconnect kit.

keep in mind that your Rad bike is a Class 2 e-Bike and has a sticker that shows it as a Class 2 e-Bike. Disconnecting the throttle cable may not be good enough for local law enforcement. Please check with your local officials before hitting the trail.

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 11:10:56 PM »
I just watched a video on the regs by Area 13. He sells new stickers so you can conform to the laws. It shouldn?t be too hard to make up a temporary sticker. To be legal I need to disconnect the throttle and put a class one sticker on it. I sent them an email. Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:34:36 PM by Traildad »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 06:00:26 PM »
I have not come across any parks yet in Michigan that are class 1 only, but if that event occurs, I can disable the throttle via controller settings. Not sure what the crime is regarding the throttle, as it makes your bike 0% faster. Some parks and trails have their own restrictions though, and my have strict rules in place to accommodate grants for funding.

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 09:27:31 PM »
I have not come across any parks yet in Michigan that are class 1 only, but if that event occurs, I can disable the throttle via controller settings. Not sure what the crime is regarding the throttle, as it makes your bike 0% faster. Some parks and trails have their own restrictions though, and my have strict rules in place to accommodate grants for funding.

What model allows throttle disconnect via controller settings?

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 08:15:03 AM »

Personally, I'd just buy a sticker off ebay or wherever that says Class 1 and cover your current sticker. and then use your honor and not use the throttle where restricted, instead of going through all the trouble and money to disconnect and reconnect.

radex5owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 03:30:18 PM »
I have  seen organized bike tours that are excluding class 2 (with throttle), it's not enough for me to disconnect it, I'd rather rent a class 1 for the tour than do that.  I love my throttle and it great for when I need just a little umph up a hill and I'm in the right gear and PAS.  Works like a charm!!

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 10:13:45 PM »

Personally, I'd just buy a sticker off ebay or wherever that says Class 1 and cover your current sticker. and then use your honor and not use the throttle where restricted, instead of going through all the trouble and money to disconnect and reconnect.
It?s my understanding that I could be fined for riding it even without using the throttle. Disconnected it?s legal. Of course I?d hook it back up the rest of the time. I don?t know how closely they?ll watch for throttles since it seems a minor difference. I?m just glad I can keep it legal if it?s needed and switch back again.

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 07:49:03 AM »

It?s my understanding that I could be fined for riding it even without using the throttle. Disconnected it?s legal. Of course I?d hook it back up the rest of the time. I don?t know how closely they?ll watch for throttles since it seems a minor difference. I?m just glad I can keep it legal if it?s needed and switch back again.

i mean, sure. you can be fined for jaywalking too.

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 12:56:59 PM »

Not anymore in Calif.  New law Jan 1 2023 says pedestrians can jaywalk.

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 11:00:34 AM »

Not anymore in Calif.  New law Jan 1 2023 says pedestrians can jaywalk.

score one for the people!

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 08:20:41 AM »
What model allows throttle disconnect via controller settings?

The 35A controller and KT display sold by Area13 and BigGameBikes lets you do this.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 11:41:59 AM »
It's now apparently fine to store your classified docs in your garage now too as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about bicycle nits.  Or, do what I did long ago and just move the hell out of CA to get away from all of it.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 07:22:10 PM »
It's now apparently fine to store your classified docs in your garage now too as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about bicycle nits.

Or, do what I did long ago and just move the hell out of CA to get away from all of it.

I have been here in Cali. for 68 years now (all my life), I can't just pick up and move,
As BAD as it is here,  I can not leave my home of many years,
 Retired, House paid off, $1750.00 in taxes yearly.
 Wilders State Park 3 miles away, Bike trails everywhere, and more coming.
I feel fortunate to be in this situation, BUT, HELL, I am old, worked all my life, And now is the time to relax.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 07:22:10 PM »