News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Etsy Headlight

Started by Tree, July 14, 2022, 07:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tree

Altema

No experience with it, but it is similar to lights that my friends use on their Super73's. The listing gives no information about how much power it consumes or how many lumens it puts out. I have gone through the photos, and the only real problem I see is having no beam control. It should have a ledge or deflector on top to block it from blinding others. Other than that, it looks very functional. The Rad light is more of a "be seen" light rather than a "see where you're going" light, lol

Tree

I dig the light.

That being said, someone else did some research, accused the guy of buying a 5 dollar light on AliExpress and a 15 dollar connector elsewhere, and jacking the price to 100 bucks and selling it as homemade (I do see the arguments on both sides as to whether its "home made"), and shortly after that accusation, the item went out of stock, so I'm wondering if he had to pull it down.

SpeedracerXT

I just got the Radrover 6+ ST and decided to upgrade the headlight (just wasn't bright enough for me for night riding). After researching I got one of these Lezyne lights https://www.geartrade.com/item/815598/lezyne-e-bike-micro-drive-500-light-black-one-size and one of these dc/dc converters https://amzn.to/3SPLcDF and wired it up. It's nice and bright and looks really minimalist to boot. Plus I did a great wiring job if I say so myself.

Radbrad215

Quote from: Tree on July 26, 2022, 09:29:51 AM
I dig the light.

That being said, someone else did some research, accused the guy of buying a 5 dollar light on AliExpress and a 15 dollar connector elsewhere, and jacking the price to 100 bucks and selling it as homemade (I do see the arguments on both sides as to whether its "home made"), and shortly after that accusation, the item went out of stock, so I'm wondering if he had to pull it down.
You?ll also need a 12v converter. I tried it and failed, So this might be a good option.

I ordered one, I?ll report back with a product review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: jbfoster on October 29, 2022, 11:18:22 AM
What about this one from Harbor Freight?

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-led-spot-light-57189.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144968772&campaignid=12144968772&utm_content=117441035752&adsetid=117441035752&product=57189&store=241&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnvOaBhDTARIsAJf8eVNG3JGW6dWnBUiLJ7z4dxZbMVUAY4xM8giwMHW-mq9RTDwmdBYDaFkaAmZZEALw_wcB

Specs say it's a 12W unit, if it's running on 12V, that would mean it's drawing 1A.  Is the headlight circuit on the controller capable of supplying a continuous 1A? What's the voltage of the headlight circuit?  If it's more than 12V can this unit handle more than 12V?  If not, it will quickly burn out.

jbfoster

Quote from: JedidiahStolzfus on October 29, 2022, 06:04:35 PM
Quote from: jbfoster on October 29, 2022, 11:18:22 AM
What about this one from Harbor Freight?

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-led-spot-light-57189.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144968772&campaignid=12144968772&utm_content=117441035752&adsetid=117441035752&product=57189&store=241&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnvOaBhDTARIsAJf8eVNG3JGW6dWnBUiLJ7z4dxZbMVUAY4xM8giwMHW-mq9RTDwmdBYDaFkaAmZZEALw_wcB

Specs say it's a 12W unit, if it's running on 12V, that would mean it's drawing 1A.  Is the headlight circuit on the controller capable of supplying a continuous 1A? What's the voltage of the headlight circuit?  If it's more than 12V can this unit handle more than 12V?  If not, it will quickly burn out.

I wouldn't hook the light to the bike light connector. I would have a power source for the light. I have tried a few lights on the front light connector it it does not work that well if at all. You will also lose range by doing that.

JedidiahStolzfus

If you can connect that light to an adequate 12V battery that you can carry with you and have a method of recharging that batter, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.  Just do the math on the battery you choose with it drawing 1A.  Be sure the battery you select can supply enough current for the length of time you would need it to be lit. 

In my case, I need full brightness for 30 to 35 minutes.  My lights are able to supply that, but not much more.  As soon as I get home, I plug them into the charger.

Carlosthetaxman

I find this very interesting.  I have friends that bought the light firm Etsy and are well pleased.  I'll attach pics he sent me.  Just had to spread their brackets a little and everything was plug and play.

That being said, I'm thinking the Harbour Freight light is the exact same one, just had a different plug. 

I'm tempted to try the Harbour Freight one.  Any body know where to get the RAD plug?

Carlosthetaxman

Here are the Etsy and the Harbour Freight kits.  They look identical except for the plug.

I can't get by with the stock headlight because the focus is so narrow I come up to corners blind.

Carlosthetaxman

Well, I have to do some backpedaling. Pun intended.

I tried the cheap out with the 48 Volt. Motorcycle light. It was nice and bright, but shine for about 1/2 a second.

I had wired into the headlight circuit and I guess there was not enough amperage to support it.

So I took my friend's advice and bought the Etsy Light.  I had a little frustration getting the bracket On my Red City 4 to work. It needs to be spread and it's made out of spring steel. Once I got that accomplished, I am loving the light.!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1170193142/rad-power-bike-led-headlight

It's exactly what I needed, so I fully support him in making those.

Thanks. I'll attach  pictures. My camera is poor on my phone so the pictures do not do the light justice. Things at a distance are illuminated much more than what they look like in my picture. Sorry. It also has a pretty good range of  Peripheral view.  That was my biggest complaint with the RAD headlights.

Carlos