News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRover 6+ with tire liners.

Started by Traildad, December 26, 2022, 12:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Traildad

I?ve read many posts that recommend tire liners. I see that Rad says the RadRover 6+ comes with tire liners. I have ordered some flat out to put in when I assemble my bike. Can I consider tire liners a non issue now that they are included with my bike?

Brutal-Force

They do not come with tire lines. I have installed Tannus Liners and Flat Out in mine.

Traildad

Quote from: Brutal-Force on December 26, 2022, 06:30:54 AM
They do not come with tire lines. I have installed Tannus Liners and Flat Out in mine.

This is a quote from the RadPower web site.

QuoteCST BFT 20" x 4.0", e-bike rated with puncture-resistant liner and reflective strip.

What did you find in the tires of your RadRover? Are they using the term ?liner? too loosely?

rjp

Traildad. the  puncture-resistant liner Rad is talking about is a thin puncture-resistant layer built into the Kenda Tires. Its called K-shield, it's puncture resistant, not puncture proof. I added flat out to help with punctures and have not had a flat. I'm not sure what the CST BFT tires have in them. After research I found that the CST BFT have what they call EPS, (Exceptional Puncture Safety) offers an added layer of proprietary rubberized poly-fiber material between the tread and the casing. The tight weave of this lightweight, puncture-resistant layer prevents foreign objects from penetrating the casing and damaging the tube. The Quote you showed from Rad is for the 20" tires. Your 6+ has 26" tires, probably Kendas.

Tree

Quote from: Traildad on December 26, 2022, 07:16:54 AM
Quote from: Brutal-Force on December 26, 2022, 06:30:54 AM

This is a quote from the RadPower web site.

QuoteCST BFT 20" x 4.0", e-bike rated with puncture-resistant liner and reflective strip.

What did you find in the tires of your RadRover? Are they using the term ?liner? too loosely?

if you're quoting something about 20 inch ties, you're not quoting something about the Rad Rover 6+.

I personally don't use tire liners, but do use FlatOut.

Traildad

Oops. We got both a RadRover 6+ and an Expand 5. That quote was from the Expand 5 page. Here is the Rover 6+.

Rad Power Bikes by Kenda Juggernaut 26" x 4", K-Shield puncture-resistant liner *tires received may not include branding

rjp

K-SHIELD (KS)
KENDA'S FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE - SINCE 1995
A layer of light, flexible rubber containing aramid and ceramic particles inside the tire under the tread area only. Designed to prevent punctures and increase tire life.

Tree

Quote from: Traildad on December 29, 2022, 08:11:14 PM
Oops. We got both a RadRover 6+ and an Expand 5. That quote was from the Expand 5 page. Here is the Rover 6+.

Rad Power Bikes by Kenda Juggernaut 26" x 4", K-Shield puncture-resistant liner *tires received may not include branding

sure. maybe. but i can tell you from experience that if a goat head or something gets between the tire and the tube without any additional protection, that tube will almost certainly puncture.

Traildad

I was aware they claimed some kind of enhanced flat protection before we bought them. I was reading a forum post about the benefits of a liner and flat out and ordered mr tuffy liners. Now I?m trying to decide if it would be useful to install the extra liner protection. I don?t want to overfill the tire or cause the ride to suffer. Especially if the factory flat protection plus flat out is already good enough flat protection.

rjp

I had Tannus Armours in my tires but I got a puncher the first day, that didn't get to my tube. Glass just cut the tire. Then a little while later I got a puncher that got my tube right threw the Tannus. I removed the Tannus from that tire and installed a Mr. Tuffy liner and flatout in that rear tire.  My front tire still has a Tannus Liner and Flat Out in it.   I also had a flat on the rear tire from the rim liner cutting the tube. I must have moved the liner over to one side, while I was repairing that puncher I had, and the other side of the liner rolled up the side of the wheel. The rim liner is stiff plastic and the edge of it was sharp and stiff enough to cut the tube. So make sure Your rim liners are centered on the rim when you have your tires off. The Mr. Tuffy liners are thin and won't fill your tires or make your ride stiffer. I didn't notice any difference. Only have had 2 flats in 10500 miles. Good Luck       

Traildad

Quote from: rjp on December 31, 2022, 06:21:33 PM
I had Tannus Armours in my tires but I got a puncher the first day, that didn't get to my tube. Glass just cut the tire. Then a little while later I got a puncher that got my tube right threw the Tannus. I removed the Tannus from that tire and installed a Mr. Tuffy liner and flatout in that rear tire.  My front tire still has a Tannus Liner and Flat Out in it.   I also had a flat on the rear tire from the rim liner cutting the tube. I must have moved the liner over to one side, while I was repairing that puncher I had, and the other side of the liner rolled up the side of the wheel. The rim liner is stiff plastic and the edge of it was sharp and stiff enough to cut the tube. So make sure Your rim liners are centered on the rim when you have your tires off. The Mr. Tuffy liners are thin and won't fill your tires or make your ride stiffer. I didn't notice any difference. Only have had 2 flats in 10500 miles. Good Luck     
Mr tuffy on top of what comes with the bike or do I replace what is already in it? I?m sure mr tuffy alone won?t affect the ride. I?m just not sure about a double layer.

rjp

You can't remove what comes with the bike unless you remove the tires. The protection is built right into the tires, not removable. I would install the Mr. tuffy liners and flat out  with the puncture resist tires and then ride Rad.

Traildad