Author Topic: Kryptonite New York LS Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock  (Read 2662 times)

rsghowellnj

• View Profile
Kryptonite New York LS Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock
« on: December 21, 2022, 05:42:43 AM »
I own a Rad Expand5 and wanted to know if anyone has tried to use the "Kryptonite New York LS Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock" to lock the rear wheel to the frame and also to a on location (not sure what else to call it) bike rack?  Not sure if this U-Lock would be long enough to do so.  Anyone?

https://amzn.to/3VgdC9S
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 07:39:57 AM by Ryan »

Eric7

• View Profile
Re: Kryptonite New York LS Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 11:22:59 AM »
I use a Kryptonite forgetabout it lock. I lock it to the seat stay.  When you look at the bike, it is all screwed together so if someone stole it, eventually they can loosen the frame and remove the lock. The only exception is the chain stay or the seat stay.  So, if now someone stole my bike, they will have to cut something to remove the lock.  I also use a cable that I hook to the lock.

In the end, I just decided to not carry the lock and only go somewhere where I feel safe.  I use a cheap lock with a cable.  It is too heavy and too much trouble to use the Kryptonite forgetaboutit lock.

I was visiting colleges this summer for my kid. Every bike I see had a big U lock.  Just sharing.  So I guess if you are on a campus, you need a big lock.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 07:52:48 AM by Eric7 »

rsghowellnj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 08:12:07 AM »
@Eric7 .... Thank you for responding.  Would you be willing to show me a photo so I could follow what you are describing?  I would really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 08:17:53 AM by rsghowellnj »

Trogster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 09:16:25 AM »
There are only two locks out there worth considering....the Hiplok, and the Litelok.

Both out of the UK.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 09:42:28 AM »
There are only two locks out there worth considering....the Hiplok, and the Litelok.

Both out of the UK.

Don't forget the ABUS Granit U-locks - the premium versions > $100 which happens to be on sale right now for $90.  Strong, heavy, bulletproof.  Get the longest one for e-bikes to reach bike stands for attachment.
https://amzn.to/3PTGpQN

This is mine, in its carrier on my rear basket, with the ABUS cable for tree trunks etc.:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 10:00:08 PM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 12:10:29 PM »
Dear Rsghowellnj,

I enclosed a photo as you requested.

As you can see, the seat stay of my bike is attached to the red vertical broomstick (but substitute any bike rack you have in the real world) by a U lock. There is also a cable locked to the bike lock. The cable loops through the front wheel, trailer, and whatever else you want to secure. In this instance, I was lazy and did not loop it through anything - it is there just to show you.

Even if my bike is not locked to anything solid, anyone who steals my bike will have a big heavy lock hanging off the side, interfering with the proper spinning of the wheel. Of course, the thief can use a tool (e.g., portable electric grinder) to break the lock but I figure they would choose an easier target. With generous return features of modern times, any lock can be broken and the tool can be fully refunded. People with good credit like that would, hopefully, not be in a habit of stealing things.

Nowadays, I just don't go anywhere unsafe - like a college or university.  I just use the cable with a padlock.

I am a big bike advocate and spent 5.5 years of my life without a car. But, sometimes, it is just easier to drive.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:11:18 AM by Eric7 »

rsghowellnj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 08:32:42 PM »
Dear Rsghowellnj,

I enclosed a photo as you requested.

As you can see, the seat stay of my bike is attached to the red vertical broomstick (but substitute any bike rack you have in the real world) by a U lock. There is also a cable locked to the bike lock. The cable loops through the front wheel, trailer, and whatever else you want to secure. In this instance, I was lazy and did not loop it through anything - it is there just to show you.

Even if my bike is not locked to anything solid, anyone who steals my bike will have a big heavy lock hanging off the side, interfering with the proper spinning of the wheel. Of course, the thief can use a tool to break the lock but I figure they would choose an easier target. With generous return features of modern times, any lock can be broken and the tool can be fully refunded. People with good credit like that would, hopefully, not be in a habit of stealing things.

Nowadays, I just don't go anywhere unsafe - like a college or university.  I just use the cable with a padlock.

I am a big bike advocate and spent 5.5 years of my life without a car. But, sometimes, it is just easier to drive.

@Eric7 - Thank you VERY VERY VERY much for taking the time to show me with a photo.  This really helps me to understand now.  I really appreciate the effort!

rsghowellnj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »

Both out of the UK.

Don't forget the ABUS Granit U-locks - the premium versions > $100 which happens to be on sale right now for $90.  Strong, heavy, bulletproof.  Get the longest one for e-bikes to reach bike stands for attachment.

This is mine, in its carrier on my rear basket, with the ABUS cable for tree trunks etc.:

@JimInPT - Could you tell me what the internal dimensions are of this ABUS Grant U-Lock?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 10:00:19 PM by Ryan »

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 07:40:04 AM »
@Eric7 - Thank you VERY VERY VERY much for taking the time to show me with a photo.  This really helps me to understand now.  I really appreciate the effort!

You are welcome. I am glad to be of service. My thought is that when locking the bike, I make it so a thief would either have to cut the frame, cut the lock, or cut the bicycle stand before it can be tossed in the back of an SUV, van, or pickup. 

I wish you happy and safe riding.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 02:05:31 PM »
@JimInPT - Could you tell me what the internal dimensions are of this ABUS Grant U-Lock?

Those were remarkably difficult to find, even on the manufacturer's website and Amazon, so I just measured mine.  With the lock closed, these are internal dimensions:

- Across at the base of the shackle:  11 cm
- Length of straight section of the shackle:  24 cm
- Overall internal shackle length from locking body to inside curved end:  30 cm

The shackle itself is about 1/2" thick and total weight is about 4 lbs.  Everything except the locking tips of the shackle is wrapped in thick rubber to prevent scratching.

FYI, a few months ago, I also added an ABUS heavy-duty folding lock, carried on the water-bottle mounting screws - it's MUCH faster to grab, unfold and lock into place for a quick trip into a shop or whatever, compared to unlocking, removing, jiggering the bike etc. to use the U-lock and/or cable.  Between the U-lock, folding lock, cable and mounts, I'm probably hauling 10 lbs of security crap around, and I live in a VERY safe non-thiefy little town, but this makes my OCD worry less.   :o

Oh, I also have a hidden motion-sensitive alarm that's really annoying if it gets woken up.  All in all, I'm probably overdoing it a bit.  Nobody gets my damn bike.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 02:31:25 PM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Muskie1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 06:04:39 AM »
A lock is essential. My bike is only recreational. I never leave without 2 guns. Detroit area is hell.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 06:17:04 AM »
Folding locks are awesome for their convenience. I have a couple of huge U Lock's, one of them with a theft "guarantee", but it excludes e-bikes. I've used the folding lock dozens of times, the U locks only once because they are such a hassle. What I really wish we had is a fat tire version of an Amsterdam lock, but in the US it would not prevent someone from throwing your bike in the back of a truck.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 06:41:57 AM »
A lock is essential. My bike is only recreational. I never leave without 2 guns. Detroit area is hell.
Really? I drive TO Detroit to ride 😂

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 11:25:19 PM »

Both out of the UK.

That is a big lock.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 11:27:25 PM by Traildad »

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 11:31:08 PM »
Over the years I?ve watched videos on YouTube by the lock picking lawyer. I think he can open most all of them. He gave a pretty good recommendation to the forgetaboutit lock. I got the 5? long chain with built in lock. They?re probably safe as long as the crook doesn?t have an angle grinder.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum