News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

What's up with pricing?

Started by joeliniowa, December 11, 2022, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

joeliniowa

I was just looking at a couple of models friends have asked me about... EVERY BIKE but the "trike" is priced at $1999.  What's up with that?
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

ElectricRides

The RadCity 5+, RadRover 6+, and RadWagon 4 should only be showing at $1999 on the US site. They recently discontinued a few of their older (lower priced) models like the RadMission 1, RadCity 4 and RadCity Step Thru 3 so that price creep is getting pretty noticeable. I wouldn't be surprised if a price-hike announcement was right around the corner with the new year.

RadTrike 1:          $2499
RadRover 6+:      $1999
RadCity 5+:         $1999
RadWagon 4:       $1999
RadRunner Plus:   $1899
RadExpand 5:       $1599
RadRunner 2:       $1499

But yeah, Rad's pretty over-priced at the moment compared to its competition.

joeliniowa

Quote from: ElectricRides on December 12, 2022, 06:14:51 AM
The RadCity 5+, RadRover 6+, and RadWagon 4 should only be showing at $1999 on the US site. They recently discontinued a few of their older (lower priced) models like the RadMission 1, RadCity 4 and RadCity Step Thru 3 so that price creep is getting pretty noticeable. I wouldn't be surprised if a price-hike announcement was right around the corner with the new year.

RadTrike 1:          $2499
RadRover 6+:      $1999
RadCity 5+:         $1999
RadWagon 4:       $1999
RadRunner Plus:   $1899
RadExpand 5:       $1599
RadRunner 2:       $1499

But yeah, Rad's pretty over-priced at the moment compared to its competition.

I remember there was one in the sub $1000 range this summer (2022)
Sorry I haven't used ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM for over 15 years.  Neither should you.  Search my name on FB, YT, TW, & those others.  I've been online since 1992. Most of that time as a Systems & Network Engineer.

JimInPT

Quote from: joeliniowa on December 12, 2022, 12:04:38 PMI remember there was one in the sub $1000 range this summer (2022)

The one you're remembering was the Rad Mission, which used to be priced at around US$1000-1100 but went on sale now and then a bit lower and closed out at around $800 as I recall.  Guess they abandoned their mission, whatever it was.

It was a real stripper bike for people on tight budgets, but I assume it was either a poor seller or they couldn't hold down their costs enough to keep it available.  IIRC, it got mediocre reviews as well.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Tree

Quote from: LasVegasStef on December 13, 2022, 12:56:46 AM
RadCity 5+ and RadRover 6+ are currently at 1199 EUR in Europe. I'm "not amused", since we paid way more for these bikes. I'm not sure why they do that.

you're not sure why the price of a bike will go down after 18 months on the market? That's sort of how things tend to work.

ElectricRides

RadCity 5+ and RadRover 6+ are currently at 1199 EUR in Europe. I'm "not amused", since we paid way more for these bikes. I'm not sure why they do that.

I'm pretty sure they are just simply on sale for $1199 at the moment. They will probably be back up to their regular price after the holidays, or there will be a price increase with the new year and they'll be more than what you paid.

Earthman58

Maybe just priced aggressively to build market share on the continent?

nextcity

The one you're remembering was the Rad Mission, which used to be priced at around US$1000-1100 but went on sale now and then a bit lower and closed out at around $800 as I recall.  Guess they abandoned their mission, whatever it was.

It was a real stripper bike for people on tight budgets, but I assume it was either a poor seller or they couldn't hold down their costs enough to keep it available.  IIRC, it got mediocre reviews as well.
[/quote]

$400 plus tax after discounts (the $499 sell off from late October).  I can see why it has poor reviews.  It's basically a department store quality bike with an electric rear hub.

Bigboom338

We purchased our RR 6+'s for $1199 US in October of this year.  Great value in my opinion.

Tree

Quote from: Bigboom338 on December 20, 2022, 08:00:57 PM
We purchased our RR 6+'s for $1199 US in October of this year.  Great value in my opinion.

800 bucks less than i paid in january. you got a steal - i got 8 more months of riding in, but you got the better price :D

Bigboom338

Tree, ebikes weren't even on our radar last summer. We were camping in September and rented a SOB bike and got hooked. A month later these crazy sale prices forced our hand. Originally I purchased them for $1599 thinking that I got a great deal, the week that I received them they dropped another $300. I called customer service to see if they would refund the difference since we were in our free trial period, they said "Sure" and credited me $800. I  am not sure why I got $800 instead of $600 but hey, I will take it.
We love the bikes.

Tree

Quote from: Bigboom338 on December 21, 2022, 09:14:15 AM
Tree, ebikes weren't even on our radar last summer. We were camping in September and rented a SOB bike and got hooked. A month later these crazy sale prices forced our hand. Originally I purchased them for $1599 thinking that I got a great deal, the week that I received them they dropped another $300. I called customer service to see if they would refund the difference since we were in our free trial period, they said "Sure" and credited me $800. I  am not sure why I got $800 instead of $600 but hey, I will take it.
We love the bikes.

that's killer. When I bought my bike, i'd been lamenting how little I rode my bike in recent years, and about 6 weeks before began researching.

it's been life changing. Sure, i wish I'd paid less, but i don't begrudge anyone who got a great deal - nor do I begrudge Rad for offering great deals (it always blows my mind when people are like "that's not fair! i bought mine 5 months ago and it was so much more expensive...")

Eric7

I got the Rad because I accurately predicted that I would be an occasional rider. For my budget, I could not see spending too much.  With the new prices, I don't think it would fit my budget anymore.

nextcity

Quote from: JimInPT on December 12, 2022, 12:26:23 PM
Quote from: joeliniowa on December 12, 2022, 12:04:38 PMI remember there was one in the sub $1000 range this summer (2022)

The Radmission is the ONLY Rad Power bike that looks like a real bike (the "highstep" version).  Every other Rad Power ebike looks goofy to me (a former road racer and pro race mechanic).  Especially when I see men riding bikes without a proper top tube.  I only bought the Radmission because of the $500 sale in late October.   

Muskie1

I have a Mini  4. I recently bought a Lectric for a semi handicap friend.  The quality of the bike amazed me. Rad shows the signs of going out of biz.