News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Six months without a car

Started by Trogster, December 04, 2022, 08:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Trogster

After totaling my SUV this summer, and spending a week in hospital, I decided to see if I could survive without a vehicle in my life.

Of course, I would need something to get around and to pick up supplies.  And the Radwagon-4 fit the bill.

I'm pleased to report that after a few lifestyle adjustments, and some refinement of expectations, I've adjusted just fine to relying on my ebike for my day-to-day needs.

I do plan on getting another vehicle, however with supply line constraints, getting a suitable replacement vehicle may take another 6-months.

Perhaps another ebike is in order?  :)

Eric7

I am glad you are OK. That's the most important.

I just spent $6000 on routine 10,000 mile maintenance. Replace engine mount. Replace some tires. A few other things.

I say yes.  Even if you spend $5000 on a bike to put off buying a car for half a year, you are still ahead of the game. Consider tax, insurance, and depreciation.  Maybe I am stretching a bit, $3000 is more reasonable.  But what price fun? 

Eventually you will need a car. If you have occasional access to a spouse's car, maybe that is enough.  But if you can't, eventually you will need a car. I say this as a person who was car less with a bike for 5.5 years of my life.  It is nice to go to the supermarket and buy 1 week of groceries, including toilet paper and fertilizer and light bulbs, all at one time. The alternative is to ride to the supermarket 3 times a week.

JedidiahStolzfus

Glad you're ok, I recently went through the same thing.
About a month ago I totaled my 1999 5500lb suburban when I hit 3 horses that were standing in the middle of the road at 3am.  Not just any horse though, Percherons, each weight about 2000lbs.  Two were ok, one had to be putdown I wasn't injured at all.
I was only driving it that night because our other SUV was in the shop.  That meant riding the bike to go grocery shopping for the next 10 days or so.  Which I had been doing anyway, it was just a little cold.
The family that owned the horses (7 of them were out running) has given us enough to buy a replacement vehicle.  A GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 is coming home this thursday.  And we made friends with the family. 

Dashcam Video: https://youtu.be/SGOVaKdBMNQ

Ddaybc

Hitting a horse is almost like hitting a moose. It's such good fortune none of them came inside through the front window.

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: Ddaybc on December 06, 2022, 04:23:16 PM
Hitting a horse is almost like hitting a moose. It's such good fortune none of them came inside through the front window.

The height of the suburban and the fact that it has 5' of hood in front of it kept that from happening.  The windshield was hit by the head of the second one I hit.  Had I been driving our other car I would have probably been killed.