Author Topic: RW4 and Ballard Cargo Bags  (Read 1526 times)

Ddaybc

• View Profile
RW4 and Ballard Cargo Bags
« on: December 04, 2022, 10:30:37 AM »
Has anyone mounted the large basket plus the Ballard Cargo Bags on the rear of their RW4? I received the bags yesterday and discovered they can't be put on the bike when the large basket is installed. I'm very disappointed as I would think Rad would/should have designed something to make it possible to use both items simultaneously. It is a cargo bike after all.
Once it warms up enough to work in my unheated garage I'm going to investigate some method of raising the basket so I can get the top hooks on the cargo frame. I wish Rad already had something designed so it could be done. If someone else has already done it could you share what you did?

BeachWagon

• View Profile
Re: RW4 and Ballard Cargo Bags
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 03:00:17 PM »
Let me state that I have neither the large basket nor the Ballard Cargo bags. However, I have both a basket and side bags installed on my RW4.

I made a wooden 'I' that bolts on, replacing one of the wooden slabs on the back of the bicycle. I then zip-tied a wire basket on top of this wooden structure. That provides me with enough lift to be able to attach a side bag to the metal tubing of the rack in back, as well as hook some luggage straps to compress the bag.

Finding something to act as a spacer between the basket and the attachment point on the rear rack would probably work. 

I agree with you that Rad didn't really figure these obvious things out. For instance, why isn't the headlight compatible with a front rack? Doesn't anyone at Rad actually use a RW4 to haul a bunch of groceries and other things around?

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 04:15:21 PM »
I've seen two other RW4's that have modifications so standard size bags can be mounted. Or at least bags mounted with standard sized hooks anyway. I don't want to make the system wider in order to mount the bags along with the basket. However I am also eventually planning on getting a U lock. BeachWagon, perhaps your idea of raising the basket enough to enable the Ballard Bags to be mounted could also be designed in such a way that the U lock could be stored under the basket? Thank you for the suggestion, I'm going to look into it.

BeachWagon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 09:30:08 PM »
Yeah, I think you could create storage space under a raised basket.

Have you ever seen the Tales on Two Wheels website? That guy does crazy mods when building e-bikes. He's modified a number of cargo bikes to have a raised deck above the rear rack. I've included a link to a modification to a Surly. I used his instructions on making big bags to design my own side bags. If anything, they're probably too big most of the time.

https://talesontwowheels.com/2021/01/19/add-a-flight-deck-and-a-hangar/

Harhir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 09:26:16 AM »
Yes it is sad that RAD has quite a few accessories which are not compatible with each other. Their website even says that you cannot use the ballard bags with a basket which makes no sense when you want to utilize the bike as a cargo bike.
If you are a bit handy you can modify the bike. Raising he deck is a good idea so that you can get the basket above the bags. Tales on Two Wheels website listed above has some good ideas.
I have a RW3 and I am currently working on my own solution as well.

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 04:45:27 PM »
BeachWagon, that's a good site you referenced. I spent a bit of time there looking around. Nice. Thank you.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 04:45:27 PM »