Author Topic: Source for RR6+ battery connector?  (Read 1940 times)

radgranddad

• View Profile
Source for RR6+ battery connector?
« on: December 03, 2022, 08:46:26 AM »
Does anyone know where I could purchase the 5-pin connector (like on the bike side) for the RR6+ battery?  If it's been published here on another topic, apologies, I couldn't find it.

In other words, the mate for this on the battery (see attached).

Since the power goes out occasionally here, thinking the battery (removed from the bike) would be a nice back-up for emergency use. Cell phone charging, etc.
The battery could be used with something like this: https://amzn.to/3FEx4Zn

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 10:51:10 AM by Ryan »

rjp

• View Profile
Re: Source for RR6+ battery connector?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 02:08:34 PM »
Radgranddad, Your a brave sole. As touchy has the new batteries are, I wouldn't use it for anything but powering my bike and be extra careful doing that. Sounds like if you short it in any way, you might blow an internal fuse and have to buy a new $700 battery. Your call that's just my thought on your idea. Good luck!! Read this post  (Semi-integrated battery fuse replacement) Some batteries have a removeable fuse and some don't. You'll learn a lot if you read that whole post.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:30:43 PM by rjp »

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 05:53:48 PM »
Thank you for your concern and I will use as much caution as I can. I am quite familiar with the fuse issue, having having been affected by it. I think I posted my rrepair results in the thread you referenced.

Any help identifying the connector is appreciated.

Gray Beard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 09:20:32 AM »
Try calling Rad customer service, they could possible sell you one.

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 07:41:10 AM »
Yup, that's a possibility (contacting and buying one from RAD), and I may end up going that route.   There is a video on the RAD site showing how to replace the (bike-side) connector and harness ("Semi-Integrated Battery Mount Replacement"), so presumably they sell it if the bike side of the connector is damaged.
Perhaps it is a custom connector?
Does anyone know the pin-out? Mostly interested in the function of the center three pins, since the outer higher current + and - terminals are self explanatory.

Si1Dia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 07:54:01 AM »
I have bought a few of those from Rad in the past. they are called the Battery mount for Rover 6+ and City 5+. I would recommend getting the one for the HS bikes, it has a longer cable and can be easily cut and spliced if need be.  The ST version does not have enough to cut and splice, in my opinion. I think they are $40 if I remember right from my last order.

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 08:16:25 AM »
I have bought a few of those from Rad in the past. they are called the Battery mount for Rover 6+ and City 5+. I would recommend getting the one for the HS bikes, it has a longer cable and can be easily cut and spliced if need be.  The ST version does not have enough to cut and splice, in my opinion. I think they are $40 if I remember right from my last order.

Thanks for the info.  Do you recall if the cable from the mount/connector connected all five pins, or just the higher current + and - ?

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
Does anyone know the pin-out? Mostly interested in the function of the center three pins, since the outer higher current + and - terminals are self explanatory.
The three pins are not connected.

radgranddad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 01:42:30 PM »
The three pins are not connected.

Thank you Sir!  Just the info I was looking for.
Now I just need to find some suitable "male" contacts for the + and - with dimensions about 2.0mm x 6.0mm.  For the current that will be drawn (very low), I expect some flattened lugs like these should work great.  A fuse and a switch before the DC/DC converter, and I should be able to charge a cell phone or similar for a very long time in an emergency.

Thanks for everyone's help!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:46:06 PM by radgranddad »

Si1Dia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Do you recall if the cable from the mount/connector connected all five pins, or just the higher current + and - ?

Only the + & - are active. the others do not attach to anything in the battery or in the bike.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »