News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RR6+ Upgrading Rhino (EU version) to Rover (US version)

Started by igors, December 01, 2022, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

igors

Hi everyone,
I am starting this topic after I searched a lot on the web and did not find answers on the issue. As all European users already know EU version of Rover 6 Plus (named Rhino 6 plus) is essentially the same bike like the Rover, but with much, much less support (250W) and throttle available only to help starting from a stop (up to 5km/h and then it turns off). I like the bike a lot. And I would love it even more if it was not so sluggish uphill. And I also like factory setup with two screens etc. So ideal solution for me would be to hack/upgrade EU version (250W) to the level of US original (750W) and keep the original looks and setup of the bike. When I started to research the topic on the net, I found very little info and sometimes conflicting claims. Therefore, I hope to gather enough joint knowledge from people from this forum, to make this process of upgrading EU version clear and easy as it can be.

Biggest question to which I did not found definitive answer yet is - what is exactly the difference between the EU and US version? On previous models it used to be the same motor, but different controllers. Therefore, replacement of EU controller with US controller would basically upgrade the bike from EU to US specs. However, I came across information (also here on the forum) that RR6+ now has totally different motors in US and EU. Meaning that simple controller switch is not enough. Instead both the controller and the engine have to be replaced. Please confirm if you have a definite answer: what exactly has to be replaced on Rhino(EU) with the parts from Rover (US) to transform Rhino to Rover?

These are some useful information that I found so far (December 2022.) about upgrading options in general for Rover/Rhino. Upgrading kits are either already available and working (https://biggamebikes.com/product/1000w-fat-bike-motor-kit/?fbclid=IwAR08WpC-E9adfqLk4SDiMm-dd7UbTK7TAUDyq5HlFlrriJIClREqNIacfck ) or in late stage of testing and about to be launched (Electro Bike World) and looks like the Area13 is also working on their solution.

Keep in mind that these kind of upgrades give much more power compared to my idea (just a swap from EU to US specs). But it also implies less range, bigger battery consumption, probably replacing complete wiring and bunch of other things. My goal is opposite, to find a minimum of needed changes to boost Rhino to level of Rover.

Help please!