News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Spare Battery

Started by boneshakin, November 29, 2022, 02:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

boneshakin

I have a spare battery for my RR6+.  Is it better to store this battery and not use it or circulate it into use with the other battery?  If storing it do I store it fully charged?

Thanks

rjp

don't store it fully charged take it down to about 70-75%

santacruzpaul

Quote from: boneshakin on November 29, 2022, 02:09:37 PM
I have a spare battery for my RR6+.  Is it better to store this battery and not use it or circulate it into use with the other battery?  If storing it do I store it fully charged?

Thanks

I would rotate the batteries and use both myself, If going on a real long ride, Take both batteries.

how

Yeah, if you are going to be riding enough to discharge your batteries back to a 70 -80 % storage charge, a rotating of the batteries on your bike would also allow you to condition each battery every couple of months over the winter with a recommended 12 hour conditioning charge.

rjp

Watch this vedio from bolten ebikes on how to maintain your ebike battery   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcFytLYOIQ

Altema

If I recall correctly, the RR6 battery uses active balancing, instead of passive balancing requiring the 12 hour cycle like the earlier batteries.

rjp

Altema Your right the RR6 has no info in the manual about balanceing the battery. When I called Rad to check on that, they said no need to balance new style batteries.

Eric7

I would say it depends on the person.  I just give you my scenario,

If you are, like me, an occasional user unlikely to wear out a battery in 2 years.  And like me, you are not waiting for the apocalypse, you might as well rotate the use of the batteries.  Meaning, use them both. 

Otherwise, after 2 years, you have a 2 year old used battery, and a brand new battery that has sat on the shelf for 2 years. 

Let's extend that a bit. Otherwise, after 3 years, you have a 3 year old used battery, and a brand new battery that has sat on the shelf for 3 years. By that time, maybe there will be new tech, new bikes.  If you follow my advice, after 3 years you will have 2 less worn out (because you were rotating) 3 year old batteries that will still be pretty good compared to one brand new battery.  And you got to use it and enjoy the range of 2 batteries all these years. 

And then, after 5 years, you can throw it all away and buy a new bike and new batteries.  I know most of us don't think like that because we grew up thinking about holding on to stuff but I think the bike world is rapidly evolving just like computers.

Think like this.  Today is Dec 2022.  How much would you pay for a battery that fits a Rad of Dec 2019, brand new, sitting on a rack all these years? How much is a Dec 2017 Rad bike worth with 2 batteries and 5 years of wear and tear?

Altema

I'm like Eric7, and rotate the use of my batteries. I have my favorites, like the 19.3Ah "fat shark" battery with Tesla cells, but I make sure I use the other four to keep them active.

How you do it as in individual is up to you, and you can use all the batteries and have them last a long time as a group, or you can beat one battery, and move on to the next one when it's worn out. 

nextcity

I'm a new Radmission owner (yes, the $499 sale).  New to ebikes altogether.  I also recently purchased a spare battery, as they went on sale.

However, it's too cold (and I am too old and sickly) to get out to ride the required first three times (followed by the 12 charge) to condition the new battery.

I'm wondering if I can just run down the battery by just running the rear wheel via the throttle while in my Park repair stand (without doing damage)?  I know nothing about rear electric bike hubs and was wondering if the lack of weight (having a rider) would somehow damage the electric  hub.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

DickB

Just leave it as is, partially charged.