Author Topic: Wobbly Folding Bike Stem on Radmini 4  (Read 1461 times)

reggy

• View Profile
Wobbly Folding Bike Stem on Radmini 4
« on: November 27, 2022, 10:12:50 AM »
Hi Folks,

Have a Radmini 4, and I'm on my second folding bike stem, but the same issue occures over time. The joint where the stem folds becomes loose over time, there is play in it. I can shim the joint to reduce the play in the joint, but this does not seem right. Causes play in the handle bar steering, and does not inspire confidence.

Anyone have this issue? Or can recommend a stronger / better folding stem for the radmini 4?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 10:15:27 AM by reggy »

SoCalRADRider

• 1,000mi / year and love my RAD ebike
    • View Profile
Re: Wobbly Folding Bike Stem on Radmini 4
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 11:41:19 AM »
The 2018 Rad Mini folding handlebar has an adjustment screw on the inside you can use to get it to fit snug. I expect the newer ones must have an adjustment mechanism of some sort as well.  If you're close to a RAD service center (San Diego, Huntington Beach, Denver, etc) you could take it in. There are some youtube videos on the subject, but I didn't see a video specifically on your bike model.  Good luck

Muskie1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 04:54:59 PM »
Hi Folks,

Have a Radmini 4, and I'm on my second folding bike stem, but the same issue occures over time. The joint where the stem folds becomes loose over time, there is play in it. I can shim the joint to reduce the play in the joint, but this does not seem right. Causes play in the handle bar steering, and does not inspire confidence.

Anyone have this issue? Or can recommend a stronger / better folding stem for the radmini 4?

Cheers,
I have had a problem like that a few times.  Shortly after I got my 2021 mini 4 I hade play and a rattling noise , ended up being the allen bolt on the lower part  in the center of the stem was loose.
 The next 2 times I started to get play again.  When you fold the bars down where it latches you will see a small set screw holding a hex head bolt. I loosened the set screw and tightened the hex bolt a little at a time until the latch had no play and was pretty hard to close and open.
 The allen head is really cheap and wants to strip easily., mine was a 2.5 mm I believe and I bought some better quality Allen wrenches. I can't remember the size of the hex bolt but once the set screw was loose it moved easily.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 04:54:59 PM »