News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Second battery for my Rad Rover 6+ - where to plug in on bike?

Started by Tree, November 20, 2022, 10:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tree

I'm definitely getting a second battery for my RR6+. I'm finding more and more I'm pushing the outer limits of range, and at least twice have had to muscle up the top of the hill I live on because the battery was down to one bar.

I am preferring to go the route of simply having a back up battery i can carry along and plug and play, without doing the dual battery connector thing.

But this bring me to the question that makes me feel like an idiot - I know i'll likely need some sort of adapter, but i really don't even know where on the bike I'd plug the second battery in.

So, does anyone know where that plug is? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

ElectricRides

If you're doing the battery swap thing and not hooking both up at the same time - you could simply buy a 2nd battery and carry it along in a bag or rear rack and switch it out when needed.

Tree

Quote from: ElectricRides on November 22, 2022, 06:23:20 AM
If you're doing the battery swap thing and not hooking both up at the same time - you could simply buy a 2nd battery and carry it along in a bag or rear rack and switch it out when needed.

right - that's what I said. Just looking for exactly where it hooks up.

Si1Dia

the battery to controller connection is part of the battery mount on the Semi-integrated battery bikes. try this guide to find it. https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/5723831771163-Semi-Integrated-Battery-Mount-Replacement?source=search

if you have an HS version of the bike you can cut the battery mount cable in half and splice in XT60 connectors to both halves. (The ST version the cable is too short to do this nicely, but you can order a new HS battery mount to use just for this mod.) Then you can run any battery with this bike as long as you have XT60 connectors on it.

I have 2 Rad external batteries in Parallel with the stock SI-Battery on my rover 6+, 3 batteries in parallel total, using the Datex3 connector from BGB.

Tree

Quote from: Si1Dia on November 22, 2022, 01:37:44 PM
the battery to controller connection is part of the battery mount on the Semi-integrated battery bikes. try this guide to find it. https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/5723831771163-Semi-Integrated-Battery-Mount-Replacement?source=search

if you have an HS version of the bike you can cut the battery mount cable in half and splice in XT60 connectors to both halves. (The ST version the cable is too short to do this nicely, but you can order a new HS battery mount to use just for this mod.) Then you can run any battery with this bike as long as you have XT60 connectors on it.

I have 2 Rad external batteries in Parallel with the stock SI-Battery on my rover 6+, 3 batteries in parallel total, using the Datex3 connector from BGB.

awesome. thank you!

I'll have to read the article in a bit, but this looks to be what i'm looking for.

Tree

THIS is where I have the question - is it simply as matter of running a cable (with adapter if necessary) from say my rack to the female part of this cable (see photo), or is there more to it? (again, to clarify, I'm just looking to swap as I ride, not run in tandem, although the tandem thing seems to be ultimately be the easier thing)

Si1Dia

Quote from: Tree on November 23, 2022, 08:33:06 AM

THIS is where I have the question - is it simply as matter of running a cable (with adapter if necessary) from say my rack to the female part of this cable (see photo), or is there more to it? (again, to clarify, I'm just looking to swap as I ride, not run in tandem, although the tandem thing seems to be ultimately be the easier thing)

Assuming you want to run both at the same time, the best option in my opinion, from the controller connector run a wire to the parallel adapters controller input. then run wires from the batteries to the battery inputs of the parallel adapter. that is all that is needed.

I would highly recommend a parallel connector if you connect two or more batteries. if you do not use one then there is a risk of accidentally connecting the batteries at the same time and that can be ver bad, fire kind of bad, depending on the difference in charge state.

rjp

For me after riding long enough to exhaust the first battery, it feels good to stop get off the bike and exchange the battery positions. Then remount and enjoy the ride. Alot less cost and good on my body to stretch some different muscles. I'm not trying to set a time record just enjoying the time outside.     

Tree

Quote from: rjp on November 23, 2022, 11:50:29 AM
For me after riding long enough to exhaust the first battery, it feels good to stop get off the bike and exchange the battery positions. Then remount and enjoy the ride. Alot less cost and good on my body to stretch some different muscles. I'm not trying to set a time record just enjoying the time outside.   

my exact semtiment - i want to swap them simply. just don't know exactly where to hook that battery up, and don't want to buy rad's integrated battery.

rjp

Now I understand what your trying to do. I thought you had 2 rad batteries like I have, only I have the older style bike and older batteries. I hope someone can help you out. Good Luck!

ElectricRides

Quote from: Tree on November 22, 2022, 08:24:34 AM

Ah okay. That's why I'm a bit confused by your question, if you have 2 batteries you wouldn't need to hook anything up. Unless you had a non-Rad semi-integrated battery for your backup, which you didn't specify at first.

Otherwise, it's the battery connector cable that is found running along the battery spot in the frame. It's a round 2-pin connection and pretty easy to find if you know where to look.

Tree

Quote from: ElectricRides on November 28, 2022, 06:20:52 AM
Quote from: Tree on November 22, 2022, 08:24:34 AM

Ah okay. That's why I'm a bit confused by your question, if you have 2 batteries you wouldn't need to hook anything up. Unless you had a non-Rad semi-integrated battery for your backup, which you didn't specify at first.

Otherwise, it's the battery connector cable that is found running along the battery spot in the frame. It's a round 2-pin connection and pretty easy to find if you know where to look.

Thanks - that pic you attached is essentially the same one I attached in one of my previous posts in this thread, so that's exactly what I was looking for confirmation on.