News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

I'm Throwing in the Towel

Started by Trogster, November 19, 2022, 01:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Trogster

After months of dead-air from Rad in respect to the shipping of replacement tires, and now they don't even respond to my inquiries, I've decided to replace my ebike.

To that end, I've ordered a new ebike from Specialized which is scheduled to arrive in about 2-weeks.

I'm hoping that purchasing a bike from a reputable company with a great dealer network will result in decent customer service.

If and when I receive safe replacement tires from Rad, I'll put my RW4 up for sale and wash my hands of the matter.

Trogster

I'm fairly confident that that Rad will re-list the RW4 for sale once they've established a source for safe replacement tires.

I just spoke with a neighbor who owns a bike repair shop.  He recently returned from a meeting with Rad at their head-office where they said the RW4 replacement tires will be shipped out some time in December.  I speculate that based on Rads track record, we won't see them until 2023.

In respect to resale, if Rad can get the stink of this recall sorted, then the RW4 will see resale values in line with any other ebike. (Perhaps marginally better given it's unique features)

However, if they can't shake off the bad press, then value will tank like the Titatnic.

BeachWagon

The length of the delay (March) doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. They've been slow on getting the tires made. 

Rad really botched this recall. I filled out their form before October and never received anything from Rad confirming they had received my request for new tires. Who is in charge of their customer support? Would it have killed them to send a confirmation email? So I've filled it out again...?

I've got over 1250 miles on the ribbed sidewall tires now, so I'm just being cautious and continuing to use the bicycle. Hopefully they'll survive until the replacement units arrive. The main thing I've done is drop the tire pressure down to between 35-40lbs (was running 50 before) and am cautious about high speed runs going downhill.

Trogster, your new bicycle looks like it should be very nice, but I'd expect it cost a bit more than a RW4. I'd like a lighter/faster runaround e-bike, but the hauling capacity of the RW4 has really been practical for me.   

Trogster

Given the milage you've reordered, it would appear that your ribbed tires escaped the QA issue and should be fine.  Still, who needs to worry.

I fired an email to RAD and they confirmed that I'm on 'The list'.  Still, an auto-generated email would have been preferable.

The Specialized I have on order is indeed a premium bike.  I'm hoping the premium price reflects a superior customer service experience, should it be needed.

BeachWagon

A huge, established brand like Specialized should have much better parts availability and access to local shops if something goes wrong.

I find it a good sign that there's a new tire available for the RW4. After spending a fair amount of effort on building giant rear bags and rigging up baskets, I don't want to have to mess with another cargo bicycle for a while. Having the ability to haul a mess of groceries has really improved my health and made shopping more fun, and I live in a climate where I can ride year round.

turtle44

I got tired of waiting.  Did some research and bought some tires to test.
RADWAGON 4 22x3.0 wheels are the same size as 2.5" x 18" motor cycle / moped tires.

I replaced the stock V-tires with
IRC NR53 2.50-18 Moped Tires and have been running them for 3 months as a daily car replacement.  This is 20 miles/day, 4 days/week.

They have MUCH more wet or dry grip, and are much beefier than stock.  The trade off is that they are about 1.2 mph slower due to rolling resistance which is about a 7% decrease in total range.

I also tried Shinko 2.75 - 18 tires.  These are 3mph slower and 12% less range.  They are 3 ply tires which makes them much too heavy for an e-bike.

Stock or 18x2.5" moped inner tubes work fine with any of the choices.

Good luck!

RadMig

Update January 2023 I was sent two emails from the company's customer service. The first one is announcing the shipping of the replacement tire and tubes which I should have here in the next day or two. And the second email that I got just this morning direct me to a local bike shop for free warranty appointment. I am down here in sunny Central Florida between Mickey mouse and the buccaneers. My assigned bike repair shop looks like it's a mobile service and so that's good. Will update again in the next week or so to let you know. However like the previous post I have not been riding this bike since the safety recall went out. So I too am looking forward to being able to ride a bike I've been paying for for nearly 6 months. Hang in there kids it looks like the company is making good on their promise to take care of this concern.

ericwn

Got my replacement shipped a few weeks ago and the velofix team took care of the install. Bike rides great again and I didn?t have much downtime during the winter.

nobo

I still haven't received my kit and the last communication I had with RP claimed that they hoped to get out 1000 kits by the end of May. It seems they are more likely to go out of business by then. I regret buying this bike, I don't know if I want to live with the geometry (too high of step) to do a bbshd conversion, or attempt to fit standard size rims on it. Maybe I'll get a wheel builder to take out the motor and put in a standard rear hub first.

JimInPT

Quote from: RadMig on January 19, 2023, 01:56:26 AM
Update January 2023 I was sent two emails from the company's customer service. The first one is announcing the shipping of the replacement tire and tubes which I should have here in the next day or two. And the second email that I got just this morning direct me to a local bike shop for free warranty appointment. I am down here in sunny Central Florida between Mickey mouse and the buccaneers. My assigned bike repair shop looks like it's a mobile service and so that's good. Will update again in the next week or so to let you know.

So, how did it work out for you?
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.