News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

First ever blow out on my RR6+ boooo

Started by Tree, November 06, 2022, 03:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tree

having a great ride, and BOOM, blow out. I'd gotten a flat before from goat heads (as in, woken up to a flat when i went out to ride), but this was the first blow out while riding. Rear tire, too, and i've been unable to remove the wheel (despite having removed it previously to change the goat head flat).

decided to get back to it tomorrow before I do something stupid in trying to remove the wheel in my frustration.

(and yes, i did have flat out, so it might have been a doozy of a blow out.)

santacruzpaul

Quote from: Tree on November 06, 2022, 03:48:03 PM
having a great ride, and BOOM, blow out. I'd gotten a flat before from goat heads (as in, woken up to a flat when i went out to ride), but this was the first blow out while riding. Rear tire, too, and i've been unable to remove the wheel (despite having removed it previously to change the goat head flat).

decided to get back to it tomorrow before I do something stupid in trying to remove the wheel in my frustration.

I am considering using flat out, Please keep us posted on your progress,
Thanks, Paul

Tree

Quote from: santacruzpaul on November 06, 2022, 05:21:30 PM
Quote from: Tree on November 06, 2022, 03:48:03 PM

I am considering using flat out, Please keep us posted on your progress,
Thanks, Paul

as soon as I get the wheel off, i'm going to inspect the tube. my guess is that the tube itself was a catastrophic failure, which flatout wouldn't really help with.

Tree

ooof. That wheel ain't coming off. Not sure what to do next....

Radiculous

Thats bad luck right there!
Did you use a tourqe wrench on it last time?   

Tree

Quote from: Radiculous on November 07, 2022, 02:13:37 PM

i did not. i spent half a day trying to find the right freakin' torque wrench at local and big box hardware stores, and finally gave up.

that being said, i just got the wheel off with a tip from the FB RadRover 6 group. it was so easy, i'm annoyed at how challenged I was by it.

the mistake i made was trying to lift the wheel up. With a wrench gripping the flat part of the bold, i pulled back, and it popped right now.

inspecting the inner tube, it's not huge, but it's not tiny either. big enough that i can see what flat out didn't do it's job.

the bright side of all this is that now i can put my new tires on - i was going to wait until next week when i got the bike repair stand I've been wanting, but now i'll just get to it this week. (i'd been looking for this particular tire for several weeks)

Scotty Kay

Quote from: Tree on November 07, 2022, 02:43:46 PM

i did not. i spent half a day trying to find the right freakin' torque wrench at local and big box hardware stores, and finally gave up.

that being said, i just got the wheel off with a tip from the FB RadRover 6 group. it was so easy, i'm annoyed at how challenged I was by it.

the mistake i made was trying to lift the wheel up. With a wrench gripping the flat part of the bold, i pulled back, and it popped right now.

inspecting the inner tube, it's not huge, but it's not tiny either. big enough that i can see what flat out didn't do it's job.

the bright side of all this is that now i can put my new tires on - i was going to wait until next week when i got the bike repair stand I've been wanting, but now i'll just get to it this week. (i'd been looking for this particular tire for several weeks)

BTW, what type of bike stand do you get?

Scotty

Tree

Quote from: Scotty Kay on December 08, 2022, 09:35:28 AM
Quote from: Tree on November 07, 2022, 02:43:46 PM

BTW, what type of bike stand do you get?

Scotty

I was all but certain I was going to get the Park 10.3, but ended up going with the Feedback Sports Ultralight Repair Stand. Due to weather and travel, I haven't really had a chance to try it out, but so far, so good.