News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

integrated battery shorted

Started by jake, October 31, 2022, 04:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jake

I recently caused my integrated battery to short out by touching the locking key to the power port.  The battery shows 70% power.  When I put the charger on, the charger shows full power despite the battery showing 70% power.  The bike still operates.  Does anyone have a similar experience and does anyone know if the battery will accept a charge when it is run down to a lower level?  Also, is it safe to use the damaged battery? I have a Rad City 5 Plus.

Rover

You might give it a couple days (unplugged) to see if it rectifies itself. If the fuse didn't short the battery will re-set itself and work again. Failing that, you can take it to a bike shop that specializes in ebikes. Sometimes there will be a tech who knows the ins and outs of batteries like this one and they can open it up and do the replacement part. At MUCH lower cost than a new battery. It's how I had to discover mine didn't short itself. Everything checked out fine. And then magically--it began to work. A RAD Tech told me the new generation batteries will do their own reset. Assuming the battery has not been damaged.

jake

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information.  I feel like I can remove my dunce cap.

jastewart325

I did the very same thing, touching my key to the charging port. The battery then only took a 70% charge according to the LEDs. I took it in to Rad (luckily, I live in Seattle) and they just gave me a new battery (the bike was still under warranty). I was all prepared for a lengthy argument about how--even though it was technically user error--it was an easy mistake to make if one wasn't fully alert, and that it pointed to a design problem. But that wasn't necessary. I think they should at least have a warning in the manual (correct me if I missed it).

Gray Beard

What would probably be best for Rad, is to move the key to the other side of the frame in their next reiteration.

Adams

If your battery has the cheapo blade fuses, it is an easy fix if you follow the directions in the thread DickB posted. Good luck!