Author Topic: Rear rack, what bag or trunk did you mount?  (Read 2155 times)

Hama

• View Profile
Rear rack, what bag or trunk did you mount?
« on: October 29, 2022, 08:38:15 PM »
Looking for some options, if you have any pictures, links, please post them,  I see everyone with rear racks but nothing on them, lol

handlebar

• View Profile
Re: Rear rack, what bag or trunk did you mount?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 09:12:53 AM »
Looking for some options, if you have any pictures, links, please post them,  I see everyone with rear racks but nothing on them, lol

https://amzn.to/3hkhjgK

My Radrunner won't take panniers. I bought this when I ordered a Six Three Zero in August. I had more regard for the panniers than the bike, so I sent the bike back and kept the panniers.

On a single-layer rack, they could be lifted off as luggage. The Radmission has two layers an inch apart. Squeezing the panniers between the tubes and setting the clips was a challenge. I guess that was a couple of weeks ago. Today I realized they were backwards. I had to finesse them out and back in.

When I load heavy stuff like groceries onto a bike on a side stand, the panniers are low enough that I don't have to worry about stability. Each main compartment will hold a 15-can box of beer with plenty of room left over, in addition to four zip pouches and two elastic mesh ones. The top of the rack is still available, and the panniers came with a strap long enough to secure my 4-gallon gas can.

The rack is strong enough to support the plywood that supports my layback seat post, which gives me a seating position like that of the legendary Charles Terront when, riding for Michelin in 1891, he completed the 743-mile Paris-Brest-Paris race in 71 hours, pedaling a 48-pound, single-speed Humber on unpaved roads. (It had a chain guard and a front brake.)

Of 280 entrants, only 1 was anywhere close. He was another national champion who came in 9 hours later. He was riding for Dunlop. If he'd won, the press would probably have found out he was on Mechelins.

You might notice that the frame and the front rack are not the same shade of orange. I ordered both in "red." I checked my order daily. For three days, both items were listed as red. On the fourth day, Radpower had changed the frame to white without consulting me.

I'll probably mount a larger basket on the front rack. It's good for unsqueezables like eggs and milk.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 07:50:40 AM by Ryan »

Hama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »

https://amzn.to/3hkhjgK

My Radrunner won't take panniers. I bought this when I ordered a Six Three Zero in August. I had more regard for the panniers than the bike, so I sent the bike back and kept the panniers.

Thanks for all the info. That does look great, and like you said you still have the rack.

On a single-layer rack, they could be lifted off as luggage. The Radmission has two layers an inch apart. Squeezing the panniers between the tubes and setting the clips was a challenge. I guess that was a couple of weeks ago. Today I realized they were backwards. I had to finesse them out and back in.

When I load heavy stuff like groceries onto a bike on a side stand, the panniers are low enough that I don't have to worry about stability. Each main compartment will hold a 15-can box of beer with plenty of room left over, in addition to four zip pouches and two elastic mesh ones. The top of the rack is still available, and the panniers came with a strap long enough to secure my 4-gallon gas can.

The rack is strong enough to support the plywood that supports my layback seat post, which gives me a seating position like that of the legendary Charles Terront when, riding for Michelin in 1891, he completed the 743-mile Paris-Brest-Paris race in 71 hours, pedaling a 48-pound, single-speed Humber on unpaved roads. (It had a chain guard and a front brake.)

Of 280 entrants, only 1 was anywhere close. He was another national champion who came in 9 hours later. He was riding for Dunlop. If he'd won, the press would probably have found out he was on Mechelins.

You might notice that the frame and the front rack are not the same shade of orange. I ordered both in "red." I checked my order daily. For three days, both items were listed as red. On the fourth day, Radpower had changed the frame to white without consulting me.

I'll probably mount a larger basket on the front rack. It's good for unsqueezables like eggs and milk.

Thanks for all the info. That does look great, and like you said you still have the rack
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 07:50:50 AM by Ryan »

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 01:25:33 PM »

Thanks for all the info. That does look great, and like you said you still have the rack

Uh-oh...a complication. When I first installed the panniers, my heels would rub the canvass as the pedals came up in back. Each bag has a strap that's supposed to go around the support tubes. On the Radmission, the strap is 2" below the point where the rear tube bends forward, so the strap failed to keep the bag from moving forward to where my heel came up.

I fixed it by pulling the straps higher with zip ties. When I realized that the panniers were backward, I thought fixing that would fix the problem. Thats why I didn't mention it. With more riding, I discovered that the problem was still there, so I reapplied 14" zip ties, as in the photo.

That's not a good solution. The weight of the bag is on the point where the strap is sewn, so the stitching may wear out.  A 3" extension to the vertical part of the tube would fix it, but a U-shaped extension, perhaps a foot across, could be attached to the bike in perhaps three places for more stability and strength.

Half-inch pvc or polyethylene pipe came to mind, but it's tricky to bend it with heat without kinking. On the other hand, maybe kinking would be okay. Another option would be to buy elbows or use rods instead of pipes. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 01:27:15 PM by handlebar »

trepaning

• View Profile
    • Corpse City
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 12:21:41 PM »
i have this for cold drinks and food, insulated, very sturdy, velcro straps easily and securely fit the wide rack
https://amzn.to/3h9tnRF

i have this for being able to bring drumsticks without them sticking out, fits the rack very well, secure
https://amzn.to/3tqYZ8x
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 07:53:19 AM by Ryan »

crorris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 01:03:30 PM »
@Hama - I don't have the same bike as you, but here's what I did on my Rover 5 for a trunk. I used a motorcycle trunk. It could possibly work for you. There's some other options in this thread as well.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,1133.msg5611.html#msg5611

Hama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 10:02:40 PM »
@Hama - I don't have the same bike as you, but here's what I did on my Rover 5 for a trunk. I used a motorcycle trunk. It could possibly work for you. There's some other options in this thread as well.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,1133.msg5611.html#msg5611

Yea, I have one from my motorcycle, I tried it and it's to big. I have a high step and when I get off ,i swing my leg and hit it, maybe a smaller one.. deffinley leaning in that direction

crorris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 07:17:11 AM »
I hear what you mean Hama. I have the same problem. I can't swing my leg over the back of the seat anymore. I've had to get use to having to make the high step over the bar in front of the seat to get on.

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 07:50:08 AM »

Uh-oh...a complication. When I first installed the panniers, my heels would rub the canvass as the pedals came up in back. Each bag has a strap that's supposed to go around the support tubes. On the Radmission, the strap is 2" below the point where the rear tube bends forward, so the strap failed to keep the bag from moving forward to where my heel came up.
That's not a good solution. The weight of the bag is on the point where the strap is sewn, so the stitching may wear out.  A 3" extension to the vertical part of the tube would fix it, but a U-shaped extension, perhaps a foot across, could be attached to the bike in perhaps three places for more stability and strength.

Solution: a couple of sticks of pine molding (removed in remodeling a house built in 1900) and eight zip ties.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 07:50:08 AM »