Author Topic: forgetting to retract the kickstand  (Read 1674 times)

handlebar

• View Profile
forgetting to retract the kickstand
« on: October 22, 2022, 08:52:37 PM »
In my first four days, I have several times ridden off with my kickstand down. That was impossible with my Radrunner, and my Radmission has panniers, which block my view of the kickstand.

I don't know it's down until I turn left. So far, it has bounced along the pavement. Has this happened to other riders? If it hits the pavement hard enough to damage it, will it instead retract?

Hama

• View Profile
Re: forgetting to retract the kickstand
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 08:34:17 PM »
Hasn't happen to me yet.

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 03:46:36 AM »
Hasn't happen to me yet.

I've gotten better at remembering. Yesterday I forgot, and I got my answer. A good blow will retract it, and it wasn't damaged.

RgM22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 06:55:04 PM »
Took me a couple of times to remember, I guess cause it?s in the back

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 03:46:16 AM »
Took me a couple of times to remember, I guess cause it?s in the back

Yeah, a stand is hard to miss if it's just behind the bottom bracket. As I recall, if I forgot, the pedal would retract it on the first revolution.

What's more, a stand mounted in front of the rear wheel is bolted on the bicycle centerline. On the Radmission, the retracted stand sticks out 2" to the left of the chainstay, and it's only 5" behind the pedal. I ride a little pigeontoed so my heel won't hit the kickstand.

There's not much room for a kickstand bracket ahead of the wheel because the chainstay is short. I've read that mountain bikers like a short chainstay for nimble steering, but the Radmission is a utility street bike, where a longer chainstay would mean more comfort and stability.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 03:46:16 AM »