News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

1UP Bike Rack NOT UP to the Task

Started by BBB, October 16, 2022, 02:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

BBB

Love the Rad Rover 6+ E-bikes just don't even think the 1 UP brand Super Duty Double (2") bike rack is up to the task. At first glimpse it seems like it's robust enough in design and others may praise it but we found it didn't even last a dozen deployments.

The bikes are indeed within the written specified weight limits of the 1UP bike rack. We always remove the batteries to help lessen the load on the rack and use 1UP's matching ramp to load.

Problem lies with the way the tire hold down bars lock, or in our case do not lock anymore. As others have stated the same premature wear occurs to the locking grooved bar that the hold down bars rely on to stay locked in place. The aluminum grooves wear instantly under the bike's load over normal paved road surfaces.

I'm not a certified engineer but either the grooves need to be deeper or the spring needs to be stronger on the latch mechanism or use something other than aluminum for the task or all the above.

Totally look for something else as 1UP Customer NO Service will deny there is any design issue and forget about them sending replacement parts under warranty, no matter how many times they're contacted. Deny, Deny, Deny is their motto. Sad waste of $1K

Ryan

Can you share some photos or a video of the issue? I've been using my 1UP heavily over the last 9 months or so, lots of different ebikes all varying in weights, and no issues. How long have you owned it?

BBB

Are you using the 1Up supplied ramp with fat tire bikes?

Last and final communication (if you want to call it that) they claim that the supplied hardware pins that lets you swing the tire hold down bars low enough to use the loading ramp are no good and you have to use a standard nut and bolt to keep the assembly ridged enough to lock on the glide bar. Then you can't use the ramp with out disassembly of the frame each time you want to deploy the ramp.

I'll let everyone know that this is a schitty hold down design and 1Up knows it yet wont honor the $20 parts warranty when these parts wear out within days of first use. A bit sad actually, they would rather try to belittle you and verbally abuse you so you go away. Horrid yet snobby customer no-service.

Since I'm $1K in the hole so to speak with these A-holes, I'll look into a manner of either strengthening the spring on the glide bar lock mechanism or see if I can create a stronger glide bar for the lock mechanism to latch onto. Could be as simple as grinding the grooves in the glide bars a bit deeper/ steeper and installing an improved stronger spring for more hold down pressure.

Not sure yet if it'll let me simply attach pics as files as I did or do I have to have them hosted elsewhere and import them.

BBB

Okay, pics showed up. Thanks

I shrunk them a bit to fit the page, but you can plainly see that the ridges on the glide bar have worn away and once that happens the wheel lock won't hold the wheel down anymore. Basically the locking mechanism just jumps right over them since there is not enough material left to stop them from advancing. Not really sure what he was smoking when he set the max weight of 75 lbs for this hold down system.

Please make sure you have auxiliary tie downs in place on the bike frames when using these racks. Do not rely on just the tire hold downs and make sure you use a locking hitch pin or similar device to hold the steel rack square tube bar hitch in the receiver. Do not just rely on just the tightening stabilizer "ball" that you tighten with the supplied Allen head security wrench.

Hehateme

Yup, looks worn to me.
For a rack that expensive, they should stand behind their product. If they don?t want to help, I guess you have to modify it yourself and let everyone you can know about the unsatisfactory service and product.

spyder918

Anyone experience this b/c I'm considering getting a 1up.  My other concern is how do the "wheel bars" lock over the fenders??

inoxa

It looks alike aluminum.  Find you a a welder who works on aluminum and have him weld a bead or 2 where it usually needs to stop.  This may be your only option if manufacturer doesn't come through.

mrgold35

Quote from: spyder918 on January 21, 2024, 12:48:26 PM
Anyone experience this b/c I'm considering getting a 1up.  My other concern is how do the "wheel bars" lock over the fenders??

The inventor of the 1UP bike rack started his own company called QuikRstuff.  I have the option with the Quik Rack to adjust the arm with no tools under the fender OR secure on top of the fender.  I like to secure the arm just under the flimsy plastic rear fender on my wife's Radcity step thru.

The Quik Rack Mach2 looks very similar to the 1UP bike rack with improvements for ease of use:
- no tools needed to install
- all adjustments for different (e)bikes sizes w/ or w/o fenders can be made without tools
- the tray are made for 5" fat tires and 56" wheelbase or less (min wheelbase 11 inches)
- install/uninstall takes few minutes, fold for easy storage,
- 28lbs for hitch tray and 22lbs for each additional tray
- smooth adjustment guides arms for easy adjustments
- 120lbs max for 1st rack, 240lbs total for dual racks, and 300lbs to 3 installed racks, and 185lbs total if you have 4 trays installed
- license plate holder

https://quikrstuff.com/

Downsides:
- made in USA expensive
- takes around 2 months to ship
- your CC is charged at order time

Below pic of 2016 Radrover and 2023 Radcity step thru with Quik Rack Mach2.  Didn't have to reduce weight, adjust pedals, adjust/remove seat, or remove rack bag.

spyder918

Quote from: mrgold35 on January 22, 2024, 04:31:49 AM
Quote from: spyder918 on January 21, 2024, 12:48:26 PM

The inventor of the 1UP bike rack started his own company called QuikRstuff.  I have the option with the Quik Rack to adjust the arm with no tools under the fender OR secure on top of the fender.  I like to secure the arm just under the flimsy plastic rear fender on my wife's Radcity step thru.

The Quik Rack Mach2 looks very similar to the 1UP bike rack with improvements for ease of use:
- no tools needed to install
- all adjustments for different (e)bikes sizes w/ or w/o fenders can be made without tools
- the tray are made for 5" fat tires and 56" wheelbase or less (min wheelbase 11 inches)
- install/uninstall takes few minutes, fold for easy storage,
- 28lbs for hitch tray and 22lbs for each additional tray
- smooth adjustment guides arms for easy adjustments
- 120lbs max for 1st rack, 240lbs total for dual racks, and 300lbs to 3 installed racks, and 185lbs total if you have 4 trays installed
- license plate holder

https://quikrstuff.com/

Downsides:
- made in USA expensive
- takes around 2 months to ship
- your CC is charged at order time

Below pic of 2016 Radrover and 2023 Radcity step thru with Quik Rack Mach2.  Didn't have to reduce weight, adjust pedals, adjust/remove seat, or remove rack bag.

Damn this looks nice and looks like he addressed all the issues of the 1up.  What about the teeth issue the op of this 5read talked about?

mrgold35

The QuikRstuff Mach2 rack uses a smooth aluminum bar that uses friction to lock in place instead of the grooves you find on the 1UP arm.  Makes it easy to adjust one or more (e)bikes back/forth and get a tight tire lock on (e)bikes of various wheelbases, tire heights, tire width, and w/ or w/o fenders. I drove +6 hours from Denver to Albuquerque with a 88lbs 4.8" fat tire Himiway Cobra Pro full suspension mid drive at hwy speeds of 75-85 mph with zero issues with the QuikRstuff Mach2 Rack.

spyder918

Quote from: mrgold35 on January 23, 2024, 02:08:45 PM
The QuikRstuff Mach2 rack uses a smooth aluminum bar that uses friction to lock in place instead of the grooves you find on the 1UP arm.  Makes it easy to adjust one or more (e)bikes back/forth and get a tight tire lock on (e)bikes of various wheelbases, tire heights, tire width, and w/ or w/o fenders. I drove +6 hours from Denver to Albuquerque with a 88lbs 4.8" fat tire Himiway Cobra Pro full suspension mid drive at hwy speeds of 75-85 mph with zero issues with the QuikRstuff Mach2 Rack.

Very cool..thanks for sharing this rack.  I would?ve never known.  I think this is the rack Im gonna get!

Ryan

Can say after hauling hundreds of ebikes on the QuickrStuff that it is superior, especially for my use case of hauling so many different ebikes. I believe code "ebikeescape" should still get you $25 off - (I get no kickback, just something they gave me to help our audience after we said we'd feature their rack in a video). The 1Up did hold up well in my experience for the 1+ year I used it.