News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Air Travel - Bag/Case/Box Recommendations?

Started by bootscooter69, October 12, 2022, 10:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

bootscooter69

Howdy everyone,

I am in a bit of an unusual circumstance. Long story short, I live in Alaska and as such Rad will not ship to me. I'm going to be in the lower 48 on business next month, and purchased a RadRover 6 Plus to be shipped to a local shop. My plan is to ship the battery back and check the bike as oversized baggage. I want to make sure the bike is protected, so was exploring different options (bike bags/cases or even just ordering a box with similar dimensions and packing it accordingly).

I'm curious if anyone in this forum has air traveled with their RadRover, and if so what your experience was like. I'm open to any tips or recommendations, my #1 priority is getting the bike back safe.

crorris

The box that it comes in is ideal for shipping. I would just have them not assemble it and check it in that original box (after taking the battery out to ship it).

My understanding is that large capacity lithium batteries cannot be shipped via air. Have you looked into that? Are you somewhere in Alaska that can be shipped to via a ground (or by sea?) shipping service?

bootscooter69

Quote from: crorris on October 12, 2022, 11:10:05 AM
The box that it comes in is ideal for shipping. I would just have them not assemble it and check it in that original box (after taking the battery out to ship it).

Yeah that's what I was kinda thinking. I had ordered assembly by the shop through Rad but I'm wondering now if I can go back and remove the service to just pick it up. Even if I have to eat the $200 that would keep me from having to purchase a separate bag or case, which some of them I've seen go up to $500+.

Quote from: crorris on October 12, 2022, 11:10:05 AM
My understanding is that large capacity lithium batteries cannot be shipped via air. Have you looked into that? Are you somewhere in Alaska that can be shipped to via a ground (or by sea?) shipping service?

I'm in Anchorage, so ground shipping shouldn't be an issue (even if it takes weeks to get there).

Thanks for the suggestion!