Author Topic: Rad Power Bikes Spoke Tightening (Clicking sound from wheel)  (Read 23056 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rad Power Bikes Spoke Tightening (Clicking sound from wheel)
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »
I see a lot of people asking about a clicking sound on the Rad bikes. This too happened on my 2018 Rad Wagon and it was coming from the rear wheel and was due to loose spokes. This was more noticeable when the bike had a lot of weight on it. While you can always take this to the bike shop I recommend buying your own spoke wrench since they are incredibly cheap and it is easy to tighten them. You'll also have the tool for any adjustments you need to make down the road. Remember to tighten them it will opposite to righty tighty, lefty loosey - assuming you're looking at them top down. I went around every spoke to feel how tight they were and made minor adjustments to each and then took it for a test ride. Rinse and repeat until the sound stops!

All Rad Bikes have 12 gauge spokes. You'll want to buy the Park Tool SW-3 which fits nipple size .156" or 3.96MM (higher quality, more expensive option). They are offered in packs or individually.

Park Tool combo pack spoke tool set: SW-0 SW-1 SW-2 SW-3

https://amzn.to/2Y7RQZy

Alternatively you can buy one which has six sizes in one. This is the one I actually purchased and it worked just fine:

https://amzn.to/2W9OROB

Another option is the Crankbrothers M19 which has multiple tools including allen wrenches as well as a spoke tool:

Crankbrothers M19 Multi-Tool + Case
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:55:09 PM by Ryan »

CZHipster

• View Profile
Re: Rad Power Bikes Spoke Tightening (Clicking sound from wheel)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »
I'm experiencing the ticking, too.  I just got the bike this week and only have 35 miles on it so I was worried.  Thanks for the advice.  I could not find anything rubbing, so I assume it is spokes!  I'll be fixing them tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:37:09 AM »
I'm experiencing the ticking, too.  I just got the bike this week and only have 35 miles on it so I was worried.  Thanks for the advice.  I could not find anything rubbing, so I assume it is spokes!  I'll be fixing them tomorrow.

Glad I could help - let us know how it goes. This is one of the most common issues with Rad Power Bikes when people receive them though it is an easy fix and a good learning experience.

CZHipster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
Well I do not have a Spoke issue. I had all the spokes checked and they were all fine. I also had the brakes checked. Unfortunately, I am still having some drive train noise that appears to be coming from the cranks or gears.   I am headed back to the shop tomorrow,  though the noise is not affecting the performance.   105 miles in 12 days, not too bad.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »
Well I do not have a Spoke issue. I had all the spokes checked and they were all fine. I also had the brakes checked. Unfortunately, I am still having some drive train noise that appears to be coming from the cranks or gears.   I am headed back to the shop tomorrow,  though the noise is not affecting the performance.   105 miles in 12 days, not too bad.

Bummer! Do keep us updated on the issue.

Rjbur007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »

It’s been a while now... any conclusions on what was causing the noise?  I’m also hearing something on my RadWagon.  Appreciate any updates.  I’ll be checking my spokes before my next ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »
Is the clicking only when riding or can you spin the bike wheel by hand and hear the clicking?

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
Is the clicking only when riding or can you spin the bike wheel by hand and hear the clicking?

Only while riding due to the weight on the bike. Sometimes it would only click when a passenger was on the rear end due to the extra weight. No issues now though!

Gene Pozniakoff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 06:53:37 AM »
The wife's Rad City ST had loose spokes rear wheel. Made a horrible creaking with my 260 lbs on it, less for her 170 lb frame, but still noticeable!
Use a small crescent wrench to tighten. My spoke wrench from Mtn. biking days did not fit properly and I was afraid I'd strip the spoke nipples. Checked her front and it was much better. Checked my Rad City Std. and gave a snug up to all rear spokes too. The front wheel of both bikes seemed to be much better constructed.
Ah, Quiet at last! Time to ride!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
The wife's Rad City ST had loose spokes rear wheel. Made a horrible creaking with my 260 lbs on it, less for her 170 lb frame, but still noticeable!
Use a small crescent wrench to tighten. My spoke wrench from Mtn. biking days did not fit properly and I was afraid I'd strip the spoke nipples. Checked her front and it was much better. Checked my Rad City Std. and gave a snug up to all rear spokes too. The front wheel of both bikes seemed to be much better constructed.
Ah, Quiet at last! Time to ride!

While you can certainly use a wrench I do recommend picking up one of the spoke wrenches. Much less frustrating in my experience and also reduces the risk of stripping the spokes.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum