News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Differences between the EU and the US version + Gear Shift

Started by samuel, October 09, 2022, 07:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

samuel

Hi there,

I consider to buy the RadWagon 4, but am unsure about some details and would love to hear, if you know them.

1. Is the motor the same in the EU version as in the US version?
If so, it would mean, I could replace the motor controller to get more power out of it?

2. Is the gear shift in the back standard, so that I could replace it?
It seems to me that 11-34 (~300%) is not that flexible in terms of terrain and if it would be replacable, I could mount a 11-gear shift.

Thank you very much!
Samuel

Ddaybc

1. I'm not 100% sure but from what I've been able to learn the Rad hub drives for the US, Canada and the EU are identical. The difference lies in the controllers as they are limited by the legislation for the various places.

2. The freewheel in the back is a standard type. It is easily replaceable but you will be limited to a seven speed freewheel. The 11-34 designation is for the size difference between the smallest cog and largest one. I think the front cog on Rad bikes is either 34 tooth or 42. I don't know for sure and I don't know what or how to determine the ratio for shift difference. Ie: 300% or 500% etc.

I own the RW4, live in Canada, and it has been able to do everything I've wanted to do so far. However I haven't loaded it up to it's maximum rated limit and tried riding it so I can't speak to that. I also don't know how far it can go as I haven't tried a distance test. It can go as far as 40 Km with ease though. The Eggrider from Big Game Bikes looks like it will allow one to change the output so it can do what it sounds like you would like to do.

Ddaybc

I just went out and counted the front sprocket on my RW4 and it's a 45 tooth sprocket. If one wanted a relatively cheap way to allow "hill" climbing with their RW4 one could either install a two sprocket front derailleur system and have a small inner sprocket or just put a smaller one on in place of the standard one on there now.