News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Commuting distance

Started by MonarchOrange, October 10, 2022, 12:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

MonarchOrange

If you ride to work, how far do you travel?    I am thinking of commuting 25 miles one way through country roads.    Anyone go that far?

Water Doc

We ride that far every day for pleasure / exercise on country roads - the down side is this will take you at least 90 minutes each way - if you have the time, go for it.
Dennis
RadMini4 and RR+

Ddaybc

Quote from: MonarchOrange on October 10, 2022, 12:07:24 PM
If you ride to work, how far do you travel?    I am thinking of commuting 25 miles one way through country roads.    Anyone go that far?

Years ago I used to commute 25 miles one way on my 10 speed. I allowed two hours each way in the beginning. Very quickly I got fit and then it usually took an hour and 20 minutes one way and an hour and 30 minutes the other way. Unless of course one had a head wind or tail wind one direction or another. I did it for three years and it was an excellent way to get to and from work.

I haven't tried that kind of riding with my e-bike so I have no thoughts about it except that most e-bikes will get you there with power to spare. While at work I imagine one could recharge their battery so getting home wouldn't be an issue. Probably most e-bikes wouldn't have enough power to get you there and back again without a charge session. At least not reliably.

Tree

depending on whether I cut through downtown or take the scenic route along the river the whole way, my commute is between 11 and 15 miles each way, and usually just about an hour, maybe less.

if you're going 25 miles each way, make sure you have a place at work - and the time - to fully recharge your battery.

depending on your bike, tires, body size, etc, you are very unlikely to have enough to go round trip without a full recharge.

Eric7

I have lived carless for 5.5 years and virtually carless driving only on weekends for another 5.

More power to you!!! but it also depends on your job. 

50 miles round trip would ruin your clothes - too much dust, it gets dirty like the outside of your car.  You are doing two centuries every week.  You might get sweaty and smell.  If you have to face customers, you might not look professional. At least for me, after many years of doing this, I decided it is not worth it as I move up the corporate ladder.

I like to keep my work life and exercise life separate now.

Edited: Give it a try for a month and I think you will see how well it works out.  At that rate, about 12,000 miles a year, you are approaching a car level of driving distance. Your bike will need maintenance every weekend, 2 sets of tires and brake pads a year, new Gortex suit annually.  Depending on how diligent you maintain the bike, it might get totally worn out in 4 years/50,000 miles maybe? The battery will last maybe 1-2 years/24000 miles maybe? Your expenses will go up - still cheaper than a car/insurance though. Don't do anything permanent like move, take out a lease on an apartment, sell your car, until you do it for 3 months.

Added: Maybe 1 or 2 days a week and drive the rest of the time.  That way, you have the option every morning and there is less commitment.

Ddaybc

That's a good answer Eric7. I forgot about the need to keep clean. I used to shower when I got to work and then shower again once I got home due to the sweating, road grime etc. My overall time to go to and from work would need to be adjusted to include shower and changing times, so my "travel time" was actually longer than an hour 20 or 30 minutes each way.

Radiculous

12 miles round trip mostly trais thru a State park. I live in New England and currently the temperatures are 70ish riding into work and 50ish coming home in the dark.  I'm pannier full of extra layers for the cold including a lunch bag, tool bag, tube, patch kit, battery operated tire pump, first aid kit, headband flashlight, bike cover, zip ties and so on.  I also added a 2nd head and taillight as backups.

Traveling as far as you are, the weather would be a concern.  Many a day has been forecast as dry only for me to be caught in a surprise rain shower or worse.

If'n you go for it, stay safe and best of luck to you!