Author Topic: NightRider  (Read 2566 times)

JTK77

• View Profile
NightRider
« on: October 02, 2022, 12:41:08 AM »
Some night riding with upgraded RAD. https://youtu.be/I04sdhBehPQ

Altema

• View Profile
Re: NightRider
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 06:37:22 AM »
Cool video, is that your channel? I like night riding, though there are times it gets a bit sketchy in the woods where I live. I've come across people just standing there, and that's kinda weird at 11pm. What I do most of the time for night rides now is ride alongside the main roads around perimeter of our neighborhood, which is a bit over 6 miles. No significant hills, which is a downer because I like hills, but it is what it is.

Radiculous

• RadRover6Plus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 09:44:06 AM »
I like night riding, though there are times it gets a bit sketchy in the woods where I live. I've come across people just standing there, and that's kinda weird at 11pm.

Right...? should I go look for a body come daylight.???

JedidiahStolzfus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »
Interesting to ride at night with no headlights.  I can't do that around here, no brightly lit city/suburban streets.

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 01:20:16 PM »
Interesting to ride at night with no headlights.  I can't do that around here, no brightly lit city/suburban streets.

No headlight? Sure I had headlight on 😄

JedidiahStolzfus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 01:53:31 PM »

Uh, huh.. :)

I "premium" headlight that I got with my RR2 sucks balls for being a "premium" product.  I just added a set of 1200lm lights.  There's mornings I might be out at 4am and coming home well after sunset.  While I could be seen easily enough, the "premium" headlight isn't enough to ride safely.  I think I'll be good now.

The RR light is pointed down so it picks up what's right in front of me, the add on lights are pointed more up, but not high enough to blind drivers.  The orange lights are my turnsignals in "hazard" mode.  I just happened to catch an image while they were on while flashing. 

I just got them on today, but haven't been out yet, it's been raining here since yesterday.

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 03:17:12 AM »

I "premium" headlight that I got with my RR2 sucks balls for being a "premium" product.  I just added a set of 1200lm lights.  There's mornings I might be out at 4am and coming home well after sunset.  While I could be seen easily enough, the "premium" headlight isn't enough to ride safely.  I think I'll be good now.

The RR light is pointed down so it picks up what's right in front of me, the add on lights are pointed more up, but not high enough to blind drivers.  The orange lights are my turnsignals in "hazard" mode.  I just happened to catch an image while they were on while flashing. 

I just got them on today, but haven't been out yet, it's been raining here since yesterday.

Yeah. I got 3000lm headlight in this bike. For street use its aimed little low not to blind other road users. Can be adjusted on the go though.
When doing 40mph good light is a must.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 07:36:17 AM »
I "premium" headlight that I got with my RR2 sucks balls for being a "premium" product.

Agreed.  IMHO, every light on every Rad bike is terrible, to the point of being dangerous in my dark rural area.  I was dumb enough to try the "premium" light and kept it only because it looks better than the puny stock light that came with my MiniST2 and as an emergency backup - it's a terrible product for a main headlight, though.

I went with this amazing light; fixed all my problems and I ride with the slow-strobe mode on during the day:  https://amzn.to/3CKoE1f  Lasts a long time and can be popped off easily for recharging, anti-theft or for use as a handheld flashlight that fits into any pocket.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:43:55 PM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Roverdrive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 11:02:14 AM »
I don't ride in the dark as much as I used to but have had good luck with mounting my Klarus tactical flashlight using a Two Fish flashlight holder.  You can even get a remote switch for the light (to dim for oncoming riders) but with the Two Fish I just reach out and rotate it towards the ground when I need to avoid blinding someone. 

https://amzn.to/3SQo7Aj
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:44:15 PM by Ryan »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 09:12:52 AM »
I "premium" headlight that I got with my RR2 sucks balls for being a "premium" product.

Agreed.  IMHO, every light on every Rad bike is terrible, to the point of being dangerous in my dark rural area.  I was dumb enough to try the "premium" light and kept it only because it looks better than the puny stock light that came with my MiniST2 and as an emergency backup - it's a terrible product for a main headlight, though.

I went with this amazing light; fixed all my problems and I ride with the slow-strobe mode on during the day:  https://amzn.to/3CKoE1f  Lasts a long time and can be popped off easily for recharging, anti-theft or for use as a handheld flashlight that fits into any pocket.
Yes, the stock Rad lights are too dim and too focused. A small lit patch on the ground in front of the wheel is not enough! When my RadMini headlight burned out, I bought a $12 light off of Amazon as a temporary replacement. The Amazon light worked better, so I still have it on there.

milkandrelish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 01:55:25 PM »

Yeah. I got 3000lm headlight in this bike. For street use its aimed little low not to blind other road users. Can be adjusted on the go though.
When doing 40mph good light is a must.

Are there upgraded lights like this that can plug into the Rad Power system or are these battery operated?

JedidiahStolzfus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 02:08:27 PM »
I looked for lights that could just be plugged into the wiring harness, or if I could modify something that would.  But I couldn't determine with any certainty how much current the headlight circuit of the controller could supply.  I played it safe and the lights are running off their own battery pack.
I 3D printed a plate that mounts to the frame at the existing points and then got a switch mounted to it.  The headlights just plug into the switch using a 2.1mm socket that's wired through the switch.  When I want to charge the battery I unplug the headlights and plug in the charger and turn the switch on. 

Whenever I do a run where I use the headlights when I get back home I plug them in right away because their listed life on a full charge isn't accurate.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 02:08:27 PM »