Author Topic: Anyone carry another mountain bike behind a RadRunner?  (Read 1417 times)

cmart

• View Profile
Anyone carry another mountain bike behind a RadRunner?
« on: November 04, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »
Once or twice a week, I drive my car to a trailhead 10-15 miles from home for a (non-electric) mountain bike ride. I'm considering a RadRunner Plus to get me and my mountain bike there without burning gasoline.

My idea is to mount a wooden deck to the RR's rear rack, then mount a thru axle fork mount to that deck. (see attached image for example). Remove the MTB's front wheel, and attach the MTB to the RR deck via the fork mount. Let the MTB trail behind the RR with the MTB's rear wheel rolling along the ground. Stow the MTB front wheel somewhere else, either attached to the side of the RR's rear rack, or on a rack in the front. Then, ride the whole rig to the trailhead, detach the MTB, lock up the RR, and go for a trail ride.

Has anyone tried something like this? If so, how did you do it? I've seen bicycles carried on the back of a long-tail cargo bike, but that's is a bit different.

Thank you in advance!

---

Pre-answering some anticipated questions:

"You could buy an e-MTB to ride from home to the trailhead and also on trails?"

Most of the local trails ban e-bikes entirely. I want to build public goodwill for more MTB trails, and breaking rules doesn't achieve that. Also, I enjoy hopping around rocks with a light 25 pound bike and leg power alone. No e-bike can deliver that.

"You could just pedal your mountain bike to the trailhead?"

Then I would get there tired. The point is to arrive with fresh legs for a solid and fun workout on trails, hence the desire for different bikes for the commute and trail ride.

"Your RadRunner will get stolen if you leave at a trailhead?"

Maybe! But there are places to lock it up.

"Have you considered a RadWagon to carry the entire mountain bike on so it doesn't drag behind?"

Have considered. I'm wary of the RW4's proprietary tire size, and it's now recalled for tire issues, and the only alternative replacement tires are much heavier motorcycle tires that eat up range. Also, I've test-ridden a RadWagon and it's not nimble while unladen. A separate use for the RadRunner for me would be blasting around town, hopping curbs, etc, and I think that is more fun on a smaller bike.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:54:46 PM by cmart »

Dan

• View Profile
Re: Anyone carry another mountain bike behind a RadRunner?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 03:16:51 AM »
How about putting it in a cargo trailer ((lots of options ) and towing that?  The trailer would have lots of other uses as well.  It?s easy to customize Wike trailers. 

JTK77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 12:36:30 AM »
Long cargo trailer with MTB wheel supports. Multi use and carries what ever you need.

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 12:20:11 PM »
I see people doing this all the time on regular bikes, shopping carts whatever. Success seems to come at the best angle of the headset. You try it at low speed and see what you get. Locking out the headset or limiting its "tiller" effect could also be tried..That being said I know it will work somewhat so have fun. I would get the front rack and mount the front wheel up there.

Also, unless you got clipless pedals with shoe soles that wont rip out, you aint gonna be bunny hopping curbs on a RRunner :) lol

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 01:25:30 PM »
People tow another bike with the fork attached to the rear rack a few times back in the days before ebikes. I think the speeds would be closer to 10-15 mph for an average person.  An ebike going 30 mph is probably safe but I am not sure.  The danger would be high-speed wobbling.

The other problem is possible failure. If you get slightly hurt during exercise or a bike is broken, now you are stuck with getting two bikes home by yourself.

I humbly suggest just taking a car because you can store so much more and when you are exercising it is nice to have a locker nearby (car). And when you get hurt you don't have to impose on your friends to rescue you with a car.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum