News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRunner 2 with a dog trailer?

Started by Karma, September 16, 2022, 12:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Hi!  My RadRunner 2 arrives early next week.  I've spent too much time reading one conflicting review after another on the web about what trailer works best for the Rad bikes.  Any of you have experience with this?  I've got a 55lb Belgian malinois that i need to tow around....sure she could outrun the Rad bikes with ease LOL, but i'd prefer to contain that fur rocket into a trailer and zip her around town with me.
Any suggestions on which trailers work best with the bike brand?

Dan

Just about any bike trailer will work with your RadRunner.   I've got three different trailers I pull with my RadRover: a cargo trailer and two child trailers.   The real issue is what kind of hitch system the trailer uses  (and of course what kind of trailer your dog will consent to ride in!).  Most hitches attach to the axle.   Because the Rad axle is an odd size, you'll probably need to drill out the hitch bracket so it fits over the axle.   There are some posts in the forum about doing that.   I also read somewhere in the forum about a company (The Robert Axle Project?) that now makes an adapter that extends and reduces the diameter of a Rad axle so trailer hitch fits securely without modification.   Keep in mind that 55 pounds of dog is a lot of weight to be pulling -- especially weight with a high center of gravity that might also shift around -- and that it will reduce your battery range significantly. 

Yeah I've considered the weight and center of gravity. It'll be a short learning process for her, fortunately she's highly trained so if I command her to lay down, she will.
Here is a question about weight and battery power, 55lb dog, 40lb trailer, I'm 160 and my kid is 120. I completely understand that is at it's maximum weight. How much drain on the battery would that generate? Would it go 20 miles and then die? 10 miles? It would be mostly around downtown and the beach which is two blocks from our door.
Same question reducing it by 120lbs.
Just want a general idea.
The dog and trailer are for sure. The kid will be on rare occasions.
I see quite a lot of rad power bikes in town towing trailers on various bike models. I see a lot of radwagons and none pulling a trailer. Mostly the minis and runners.
Seems burley trailers are the most expensive and the best rated, ya get what you pay for, right?

Muskie1

I have a Mini 4, unfortunately not enough thread on the axle to fit a normal hitch mount. The best alternatives I have seen come from a company Mri-Denver, they have frame and kickstand alternative mounts. Unfortunately always seem out of stock.
This video has a link for a axle extender  ,  https://youtu.be/ghk6Ikgp69E.

Eric7

See this.  My other post. I managed to hook the trailer to the rack without any modification to anything.  It does require an old style connector - which I had because I bought the trailer with the old style connector.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,1630.0.html

Maybe your rack would fit too.

Burley is the best and I highly recommend it if you are bicycling manually. But you have an ebike now and it is not exactly a lightweight bike so a more sturdy and cheaper rack should do and it is probably if it were studier to handle the higher speed of an ebike.  A heavier trailer should be more stable too.  I don't have a brand to recommend.

Good luck.

I got the bike, trailer, and gear.  Just have to assemble it tonight and break it in tomorrow.

I bought the Veelar large dog trailer.  it's perfect size for my belgian malinois.  very sturdy.  i'm getting a beefier axle made and am ordering better tires.  I'll be cutting some 1/4" plywood to reinforce the bottom and to add some weight.  Also adding a high density foam pad inside.

I'm prepared to bore out the hole in the connector, already assuming it's too small.

Researching what to buy and all of that has been a headache.  Always find contradictions to a product once you settle on one...then you're off to the next one.  I wanted the burley but am not too thrilled with the new design.  Seems many people are complaining about the new design too compared to the prior models.
The Veelar is the same as other cheaper brands on Amazon, just different packaging.

Hoping the added weight and better tires will remove the tipping factor.

This brand had the least amount of tipping reports.  Whatever that's worth.

Muskie1

The problem with a trailer is any axle mount. The warranty is voided.

its a cheap, made in china $189 carrier sold by amazon.   i'll get my $$ back if it's garbage.  never had any issues with that and amazon.

for something that cheap, i don't worry about factory warranties especially when it's made in China.  there is no warranty anyways.  like they are going to make good on it?  unlikely ;)

if the thing ends up just sucking, i'll go buy the Thule or Burley.  I just don't like the new Burley design is the problem and its been reported that the thing tips over whereas the one i bought doesn't seem to have that issue and the older burley tail wagon didn't seem to tip.

Altema

Quote from: Karma on September 23, 2022, 01:16:52 PM
its a cheap, made in china $189 carrier sold by amazon.   i'll get my $$ back if it's garbage.  never had any issues with that and amazon.

for something that cheap, i don't worry about factory warranties especially when it's made in China.  there is no warranty anyways.  like they are going to make good on it?  unlikely ;)

if the thing ends up just sucking, i'll go buy the Thule or Burley.  I just don't like the new Burley design is the problem and its been reported that the thing tips over whereas the one i bought doesn't seem to have that issue and the older burley tail wagon didn't seem to tip.

Is it the "Aosom Elite II 2-in-1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer"? If so, it's actually quite nice with the suspension and all. I have a 2 passenger child trailer I've used on my RadMini, but the speed limit on the trailer is listed as being only 10mph. It rode very well, and mounting only required changing the nut to a non-flanged axle nut.

Regarding the warranty, I believe Muskie1 is referring to the bike warranty.

its a company aligned with Aosom.  Could be same company, just different name.  Ships from Oregon, but it's made in china. 

****UPDATE****
Dog hates it.  Refuses to get back into it.  There is no suspension.  The fabric doesn't close up all holes on the trailer, leaves big openings on the side where water and debris enter.  the thing rattles really badly too.  I have a $189 paper weight and can't take my pooch on rides.  I've tried so many ways and so many times and she just refuses. 
Someone suggested having her run along side for a while.  I'll try that before i sell this thing.  Problem is....she's a belgian malinois, has a top speed of 35mph and can run about 5 miles before shes done. lol  ;D

Eric7

First of all, congratulations on a cool dog.

I think your dog just don't like trailers.

I use a Burley Bee from 20 years ago for children that I gutted and put in a 65 pound English Bulldog 8 years old. U.S. made.  The dog is fine with 20 mile rides.  Sometimes we jump the curb on the way to the supermarket to take the safest route. There is no suspension but the tires, the wheel and the fabric and a pillow makes it enjoyable for the dog. She does not whine a bit. Sometimes she sits on the groceries or share space with the groceries. My daughter shared the space with the groceries when she was young - it fits 2 babies and I use one baby space for groceries. The fabric gets wet in the rain and it is not rainproof - I think they are afraid of liability if a baby suffocates in the trailer because the trailer is one giant waterproof plastic bag.  Some vents are always open.

I don't think it is the trailer because most dogs who are not old are tough. The trailer may be badly made but it is not the trailer causing your dog to dislike it.

You have a great breed. Tough as nail.  Hard as brick. Can run faster than your bike. The reason she doesn't like it is because she does not like it.  Yes, the cart may be badly made - but a Belgian Malinois should not be bothered by a little discomfort and noise that an English Bulldog and many other breeds can handle. A little dirt and debris shouldn't bother the 35 mph runner your Belgian Malinois is.  It does not bother my dog who likes ventilation and don't like heating up. She does not even mind some dirt and water kicked up by the rear wheel in her face which will eventually happen if you ride enough. You are in the front with no protection at all.  Until the dog changes her attitude, there is nothing you can do. I am not saying the dog is wrong. Maybe she don't like the whole idea. Maybe she just want to run.

Muskie1

I have a Husky or Huskie  , I still don't know the correct spelling.
I live with a bike trailer in my living room  trying to get him interested.  He is a escape artist. He loves everything new except my new trailer. 
He may probably recognize my riding ability.