News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New Battery Charging

Started by j-stevn, March 14, 2021, 06:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

j-stevn

Greetings! I just received, assembled and charged my Rad Rover v5 yesterday. Today was my 1st ride . Love it!
The users guide says for the first 3 rides, to charge for about 12 hours after each ride no matter how far.

Is there some science that helps the battery last longer if you do this for the 1st 3 rides?

Thanks!

jbfoster

By charging this way you are balancing the battery pack cells. All the cells need to be at the same voltage. My understanding is after the pack is fully charged it starts to balance all the cells in the pack to the same voltage. I think Rad Power Bikes recommends doing this every now and then.

Jim

John Rose

My manual says
Quote. . . as close to 12 hours as possible (but not longer than 12 hours).
For those 12-hour charging sessions, does it have to be continuous?
Say I don't have a timer, could I plug it in and charge for 6 hours, unplug it, go to bed, and finish it the next day with 6 more hours of charging?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

handlebar

Quote from: John Rose on October 03, 2023, 10:14:04 PM
My manual says
Quote. . . as close to 12 hours as possible (but not longer than 12 hours).
For those 12-hour charging sessions, does it have to be continuous?
Say I don't have a timer, could I plug it in and charge for 6 hours, unplug it, go to bed, and finish it the next day with 6 more hours of charging?

That's kinda how I do it, but I use meter, a timer, and a watt meter that reads in tenths. I check the voltage with the meter to see how long to set the timer. Probably the green light will come on in that time, but sometimes if the charger is turned on after a rest, there will be two red lights. So when I come along after the timer has finished, I turn on the charger to be sure there's a green light. If there is, I see how many watts the charger is using. if it's more than 2 watts, I figure it's not finished balancing. I leave it alone.