News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Saddle comfort

Started by Veggyhed, February 17, 2021, 03:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Veggyhed

Many people complain about their saddles. Here is a  good article that may be of help to some. There is also a video in the article.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/promoted/do-you-need-a-saddle-with-a-cutout-490268

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BoulderJonny

Thanks for the read. In most cases I look for the cushy'est largest springy seat I can get my hands on.

A really cool tool from specialized from that article: FIND YOUR SADDLE SIZE. Obv., it's a sales tool, but an interesting diy method for measuring sits bones.

Altema

Informative article. My main saddle is a C9 Cruiser Select Airflow, which does have a cutout/vent combination (which I plug in the winter!). It works well, but is not as wide or cushy as you'd think. My secondary saddle is a Selle Royal Drifter. This has no cutout, but is softer where a cutout would be, so it also keeps pressure of the area. It's wider with a shorter nose, and the springs work better than my inexpensive suspension seat post. The downside is the seating position is vague, and I end up moving around to find the right "spot" to the point where it becomes annoying. Maybe I just have to get used to it. The Selle certainly looks more in character with the bike, with springs, and rivets across the back.

Veggyhed

Most people look for a large cushy saddle. What I've noticed with these large saddles is the amount of pelvic rock that people have while pedaling.

Many people also do not adjust the saddle on the rails situated on the seat post. This can also make a world up difference along with the angle of the nose.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

kev12345

I don't think this article relates to e-bike buyers. hardcore bicyclists want the hard saddles that go with their padded bike shorts and neon. normal people want cushy seats to cruise on.

Altema

Quote from: kev12345 on February 21, 2021, 03:56:47 PM
I don't think this article relates to e-bike buyers. hardcore bicyclists want the hard saddles that go with their padded bike shorts and neon. normal people want cushy seats to cruise on.
I find it amusing that hardcore cyclists, with gel pads in their shorts, look down on people with gel pads on the bicycle seat. When I used to do marathons, I wore regular clothes and long pants. The only thing "special" I did was wear shoes that would fit in my pedal clips, and tuck my pant leg into my sock!

Parrsboro

Quote from: Veggyhed on February 17, 2021, 09:52:00 PM
Most people look for a large cushy saddle. What I've noticed with these large saddles is the amount of pelvic rock that people have while pedaling.

Many people also do not adjust the saddle on the rails situated on the seat post. This can also make a world up difference along with the angle of the nose.

at first that was what i wanted, something soft and cushy, i wanted to feel like i was riding a cadillac.
But then i found out, that the larger you get provides you with new "rub areas"  :)

And as i learn, i also just learned to adjust the forward and back instead of just up and down.
So my wife is much more happier :)

2020 Rad Wagon 4 - Black
2019 Rad Wagon 3 - White

Altema

Quote from: Parrsboro on February 26, 2021, 02:34:05 PM
Quote from: Veggyhed on February 17, 2021, 09:52:00 PM

at first that was what i wanted, something soft and cushy, i wanted to feel like i was riding a cadillac.
But then i found out, that the larger you get provides you with new "rub areas"  :)

And as i learn, i also just learned to adjust the forward and back instead of just up and down.
So my wife is much more happier :)
I have a Selle Royale Cruiser, and a much smaller Cloud 9 Cruiser Select. The Selle is softer and bigger, but the seating position is so vague that I switched back to the C9.