News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

52 volt upgrade

Started by Altema, January 31, 2021, 09:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

I went ahead and upgraded the voltage to 52. The usable voltage range for 48 volt batteries is 15.6, and the voltage range for 52 volt batteries is 16.8, so even if there was no other benefit, the range should be slightly better. I really wasn't expecting much of a performance difference, but I was wrong. The new battery has a higher capacity discharge rate, and both the motor and the controller seem to like the voltage increase. The power levels now go up to 1820 watts, and if you twist the throttle at 15 miles per hour, you better hang on. I mean that literally!

The battery is a 52 volt, 13aH battery with a 30 amp output, and it fit in the stock location. For installation, I removed the connector from the Rad battery bracket, and soldered an XT90 connector so that the length would be about the same as the original. The upper and lower mounting holes lined up, but I had to drill a hole in the battery bracket for the middle screw. I can still remove the battery through the side, but since the bracket is not as slim as the original, it is a tight fit. The charging port is 3 pin XLR, and on/off is a switch instead of a key, so that's a bummer.

The battery does have a key, but that is to unlock it from the bracket. The two downsides to the install is that the bike can be turned on while the battery is NOT locked to the bracket, and the USB port on the battery is inaccessible due to the RadMini 4 frame style. I could move it up further, but that means losing the middle mounting screw. I can't use my rack battery anymore, and I thought of ordering a replacement 52 volt battery for the rack bag, but the I'd have to use a larger bag. I was conflicted because I REALLY like the stealth approach, but I wanted to actually use my storage bag for storage, so I ordered a rack battery to provide additional power. It won't look as nice, but it will give me a 20aH battery instead of 15aH like I have now. Photos are below, and on the display I had to change P5 to "0", and C12 to "7". Questions are welcome!

Loulou718

That's awesome, great job!
Whats the max mph you get on throttle?

Altema

Quote from: Loulou718 on February 01, 2021, 01:06:33 AM
That's awesome, great job!
Whats the max mph you get on throttle?
Thanks! Max speed is about 32 mph with a full battery.

cmalberto

Hope you are still monitoring this reply...Where did you get your battery. I am still on the fence between 48/52 but would consider a higher aH 48v in lieu of the 52v. So I am really looking for more range for my 2020 Mini w/upgraded 25a controller. Which to target a higher aH 48v or a similar 52v that you purchased?

As you(OP) have posted previously, I am now maxed out around 20-25 miles. That is really my max rides but I want insurance.

TIA...
--Mickey A.

Altema

Quote from: cmalberto on August 22, 2021, 02:40:30 PM
Hope you are still monitoring this reply...Where did you get your battery. I am still on the fence between 48/52 but would consider a higher aH 48v in lieu of the 52v. So I am really looking for more range for my 2020 Mini w/upgraded 25a controller. Which to target a higher aH 48v or a similar 52v that you purchased?

As you(OP) have posted previously, I am now maxed out around 20-25 miles. That is really my max rides but I want insurance.

TIA...
--Mickey A.

Hi Mickey, if your needs are range, then sticking with 48v would be more cost effective, but going with 52v is within range of your controller with some programming changes. Either way, you will need to change out your battery mount, and wire in a new connector or adapter.

Both of the batteries below are from Unit Pack Power, and in my experience they perform equal to or better than their specifications.
The first battery is 48v and 20 AH: https://amzn.to/3CvZEIJ

The second battery is 52 and 19.2 AH, but it thicker and requires a 12mm spacer on the forward rear fender mount: https://amzn.to/3mfRw9h

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I also have the controller setting for 52v batteries.

wtfg

I have Rad Mission with 52v 20ah battery
I can go 40 miles using assist 2 and 3 and 5 on hills and still have 51 volts left.
The only thing that isn't accurate is the battery level on lcd screen, I have tried different settings and it doesn't seem to change
I have been riding based on voltage.
With stock Rad battery I would get 25 miles
Average speed on my rides is 17mph.

Altema

Quote from: wtfg on August 25, 2021, 05:53:03 AM
I have Rad Mission with 52v 20ah battery
I can go 40 miles using assist 2 and 3 and 5 on hills and still have 51 volts left.
The only thing that isn't accurate is the battery level on lcd screen, I have tried different settings and it doesn't seem to change
I have been riding based on voltage.
With stock Rad battery I would get 25 miles
Average speed on my rides is 17mph.

51 volts is 54% left on the battery, so that's pretty darn good. For the battery level, I assume you have an upgrade controller since there are no settings for battery level on the stock Rad controller. If so, then try changing P25 to 25, which should be correct for a 52 volt battery.

reggy

Hi, I have a radmini4 came with a 48 volt battery. Could I run a 52 volt battery with the original controller?

What if I'd charge the 52 volt battery only to 80% which is about 55.4 volts. Which is about the voltage of a fully charged 48v battery.

Original controller on radmni4Rated voltage: 48v
Maximum current: 12A
Rated current: 6A
Low voltage protection: 39A
Throttle adjustment voltage: 1.2-4.4v
Product number: LSW765-28-48FB x20060013224

Altema

I assume your goal is increased range, as that would be the only benefit. I never tried a 52v battery with the stock controller because I didn't want to damage it. If it does work, there won't be any performance gains aside from range. Increasing range by going to a 17AH 48V battery is a less troublesome approach.