News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Heated Grips

Started by kev12345, January 31, 2021, 03:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

kev12345

do heated grips exist for e-bikes? why doesn't rad offer them?

sc00ter

This is what I've learned from heated grips on motorcycles. They need a good amount of power to heat well enough to make a noticeable difference. Big, powerful stators are needed. I tried some for my motor scooter (confirmed use for my scooter) and it would stall at idle because the grips required so much juice. Then they would draw just enough that the electric start wouldn't have enough power to restart the scooter. I tossed the grips in the trash after that. Waste of money. Then I later tried some that said they were approved for scooters (like the ones I had before) and the scooter didn't cut off but the grips only got warm. So I just go with heated gloves on my ebike now. It would be interesting if someone did make heated grips though but I'm curious as to how much power they would draw.

Altema

Agree with Sc00ter. The grips require a lot of mass being heated, and you lose heat through the handlebars. Gloves are more efficient, the heat is more direct, and they can run on batteries for hours. Mine are really good gloves, with leather palms and 3M Thinsulate, and even without the heat on they keep me pretty warm. As a bonus, the battery for each glove has dual USB outputs, and is large enough to charge your phone.

surfer8210

Quote from: Altema on January 31, 2021, 08:24:10 PM
Agree with Sc00ter. The grips require a lot of mass being heated, and you lose heat through the handlebars. Gloves are more efficient, the heat is more direct, and they can run on batteries for hours. Mine are really good gloves, with leather palms and 3M Thinsulate, and even without the heat on they keep me pretty warm. As a bonus, the battery for each glove has dual USB outputs, and is large enough to charge your phone.
Those gloves sound awesome, would you happen to have a link to a source or the product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altema

The gloves are here: https://amzn.to/3vRZYP4
The only thing I would change is not having smartphone touch sensitive fingertips, but that's just me. I take my gloves off to use my phone, and making the glove finger tip on the index finger means a little less insulation so that it works. It's not bad and my fingertip does not freeze, but it is slightly cooler than the other fingertips. I'm not complaining because my previous gloves let my fingers and thumbs freeze!