News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery-holics anonymous

Started by Altema, February 25, 2021, 07:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

"Hi. My name is Steve, and it has been two weeks since my last e-bike charge"

Ok, ok... I know that was corny, but I actually am charging my RadMini batteries for the first time in 17 days. I wasn't trying to do a range test, but rather I was trying to verify settings for my display with the 52 volt batteries. That bit worked and the battery meter on the bike display is accurate now (setting P5=25), or at least as accurate as you can get with four measly bars. But in the process of doing that, I also had data logs from the rides and could add the mileage up.

Since the weather has been bad, I was forced to do multiple short rides. With the main purpose being to drain the batteries, about half of the riding was throttle only or using cruise control. The weather was cold of course, and three of the rides were done in single digit temperatures (°F).

After 8 rides, I managed to get the battery level down to 25% after 70.19 miles.

Keep in mind that this percentage is "at rest" with the bike just sitting there. When riding around with the throttle, the percentage drops to 18% or lower depending on how hard you use the throttle. It felt like I could have gone another five miles, but decided to call it quits because I could force the low battery cutoff by going top speed at full throttle and holding it there. I'm happy to report that this controller only cuts power to the motor for a few seconds, then you can continue using light throttle or pedal assist. Top speed with the battery this low is 22 mph, and it cut off after going a quarter mile in this state. After 15 seconds, the controller turned the motor back on by itself, and I was able to ride back using moderate throttle at about 15mph. I'll be doing a "real" range test when the weather warms up, and will report back when I do. I will probably not being doing a "PAS 1 only" range test because I don't have that much patience, and I don't feel like sweating that much! Let me know if you have any questions!

Veggyhed

Looking forward to that range test

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk