Author Topic: 35A Controller, what protection have you got ?  (Read 2643 times)

mushroom

• View Profile
35A Controller, what protection have you got ?
« on: September 10, 2022, 11:22:32 PM »
Just got the 35A controller from BGB but it obviously needs an enclosure round it.
Are the bags any good or should I use the hard plastic enclosure ?
Was thinking of going for this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175348972556 or this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284944278366

Altema

• View Profile
Re: 35A Controller, what protection have you got ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 06:00:58 AM »
That first enclosure looks like it would do the job, or you can add a skid plate from Cascade Manufacturing to protect it from direct water spray from the front tire (and debris!).
I have not had any water ingress issues on my three units, despite frequently washing the controller with the garden hose, but none of them had defective seals which is always a possibility.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 06:24:13 AM »
I used that large size. It had room to spare. 

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 08:07:38 AM »
I added a U-lock to protect my MiniST2 battery from theft and with that in place, the large enclosure box doesn't quite fit with the new controller.  These controllers have gaskets from the factory, but I went ahead and applied RTV silicone seal to all the exterior seams and cable entry points (no disassembly, just on the exterior surfaces) just in case, although I never ride in wet weather and never even on wet surfaces if I can avoid it.

On the MiniST2, the controller is mechanically well-protected behind the battery and under the seat, so my only interest was a bit more weatherproofing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 01:00:32 PM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 09:40:54 AM »
By putting the controller in a case cause any issues with the controller getting hot?

Jim

mushroom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
thanks guys

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 04:31:22 AM »
By putting the controller in a case cause any issues with the controller getting hot?

Jim
Not unless you push the power hard in hot weather. The 35A controller has all 12 power transistors mounted against one side of the aluminum case, and the case is much bigger than it needs to be, so it takes several minutes for heat to build up. In hard use, my Bolton motor overheated before the controller started to get warm, but that was in cold weather going through snow.

mushroom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 01:54:18 PM »
Thanks
What size has any of you got dialed in for the 20" wheels ? I put 20 in the settings and it's topping out at 20mph

SQFRad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »
I've done nothing to protect my 35A controller on my Radrunner+, but I'd really like to relocate the controller to under the passenger seat. The last time I looked, finding the right cables was an issue

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 04:06:45 PM »
Thanks
What size has any of you got dialed in for the 20" wheels ? I put 20 in the settings and it's topping out at 20mph
You should be able to get 23/24 with the 35 amp controller

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 09:15:55 AM »
Thanks

For my MiniST2, I have the DIM setting at 23" for my nominal "20-inch" CST Big Boat tires and comparing to GPS it's very close to accurate for both speed and distance.   YMMV, so set up a GPS speed app on your phone and fiddle with the setting to pick the most-accurate value for your bike.  You can use the cruise-control feature of your new controller to hold a constant speed on level ground to make it easier; I think you need to be moving at least about 5 mph for cruise-control to work (hold down the down-arrow PAS button).  Don't forget you need to have C7 = 1 to enable the cruise control feature.

For maximum top speed, be sure to set the LIM setting to 72kph.  It won't get even close to that (24-25mph is max on mine) but it doesn't hurt to set it at maximum.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 09:22:04 AM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

mushroom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 03:27:06 AM »
Thanks, put in 23 and the speedo reads 24-25mph maxed out on pedalling

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 03:27:06 AM »