News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Battery Jacket

Started by RyCon82, November 18, 2020, 01:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RyCon82

Before my RadRover was delivered, I bought one of these jackets for my battery... I am glad I did! La NiƱa is soaking us in the Pacific Northwest combining with tons of fallen leaves to creat a wet, nasty mush that covers my bike... At my apartment and work I have to take the battery off and carry it in and so far the battery has been perfectly clean and dry when lugging it around! I even bought the insulated version- it was in the 20's one morning and my battery was only cool when I finished my 12 mile ride to work! https://www.etsy.com/listing/858492078/battery-jacket-carbon-fiber-look-custom?ref=hp_opfy-1&frs=1&bes=1

Altema

Looks nice, and I just ordered one in carbon fiber black for my RadMini 4. The battery on the regular RadMini is facing the back of the bike, leaving all the nooks and crannies of the mounting plate facing the spray of mud and water from the front tire. This cover goes all the way around and protects even the battery mount.

Altema

My battery jacket arrived, and looks good in my opinion. These are handmade in the US, and it's a very well thought out design. The maker even compensated for stretch on the snap holding the flap closed. Very impressed with the quality of materials (feels so nice, inside and out), and you can actually use the term craftsmanship in describing how well it's made.

Installation requires removing the battery, unplugging the battery cable to the controller, and removing the battery bracket. The zipper comes apart at the bottom (like a jacket zipper), and there is an intentional space for the cable to pass through. The RadMini is probably the hardest Rad bike to install this on because the bike frame wraps around the battery, but it went in without too much difficulty after I removed my seat and rack support. To access the key slot or charge port, you need to unsnap the top flap and open the zipper a few inches, then pull the jacket aside. It's a little more work, but I think it's worth the protection. Keeping the battery a bit warmer in the winter is also a good thing, and for summer use, I suspect the silver color would keep it cooler than the black plastic of the naked battery in the direct sun.

sc00ter

I'm going a slightly different route with a battery cover on my RadRunner 1. I ordered calf supports/wraps for my battery as a test. Made for hikers they are insulated as well. I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct size after measuring everything. I have to be able get my hand under the battery to push it up in order to remove it, so I figure if I can completely remove the wrap it would be easier. I'll see how well my $20 experiment works when the calf wraps (2 per pack) arrive. I do like those purpose made ones though.

Altema

That sounds like an intriguing idea. Let us know how it works out  8)

sc00ter

I got Lopoo leg gators, size Large, thru Amazon. $16.98 . Here's what I do. I cut off the boot base straps and top straps and wrap both over the battery. They cover the battery and stay outta the way when installed. I figure using both will keep my battery from cold weather exposure. Obviously the bottom is open and the top may collect a bit of water if I ride in heavy rain. Don't worry, that will get tested one day. It takes me 10 seconds to wrap my battery with both of the gators, and their not to thick so they don't hog valuable space in my trunk. Wish I was picture savvy but Mr. Galaxy 3 hates these modern phones, but I may treat myself to some modern tech this season. The gators don't look tacky installed. Not sure how well they actually protect my battery from the cold as the coldest I've ridden so far has been 34 degrees but I only used 2 bars when the last time I rode in the same weather without the gators I used 4 bars. I usually put my battery on my bike 15 minutes before leaving, stays indoors when off the bike.