News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadMini 4 Controller upgrade review

Started by Altema, November 08, 2020, 07:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

reggy

Quote from: Altema on June 25, 2022, 08:27:02 PM
I don't know if the Canadian motor is physically the same as the US motor, but the peak rating of Bafang motors is usually double the nominal rating, so you should be safe with the C5=04 setting. The "nominal" rating of a motor in most cases is simply the maximum power level that it can maintain at 100% duty cycle and never overheat. Putting more power into the motor will cause the heat to build up, but it does not become a problem unless the motor is held at that elevated power level for long periods.
Anyone know of a spec. sheet for radpower canadian 500 watt bafang motor of what it can handle?

For 2x the nominal power,  what is considered prolong periods of time? 5 min, 10 min or continuous throttle?

Ddaybc

Reggy, take a look at Grin Technologies web site. They are a Canadian company situated in Vancouver BC. They have a motor calculator and with it, once you know what motor you're looking at, you can put the figures in and determine if it will meet your expectations relative to watts of input, the torque, horsepower and heat developed for whatever power (watts) you want to input etc.

How many watts can our Canadian Rad bikes take? And for how long? I'm presuming our 500 watt Canadian motors are identical to the 750 watt American Rad motors. I also presume the 250 watt EU Rad motors are also identical. Therefore, I'm also presuming all of the motors can handle 750 watts all day long without any issue. They will also handle roughly double the nominal watts (750) for short periods of time. What's a "short" period of time? The Grin web site will answer that. It's very different travelling on a reasonably level street or trail verses hills. It's also very different if one is simply loping along at a comfortable pace verses moving at a high rate of speed using near full throttle. For example 6% hill for 50 meters verses 6% hill for 2 Kms or a 14% hill. What throttle level used comes in to play too. The actual limitation is built in to the controller or the display. Or both.

For additional information see "The Eggrider" as it's also another upgrade some have done which allows one to access higher wattage than our bikes are supposed to be able to obtain.

I haven't taken my RW4 motor apart yet so I'm not able to give you the model. As far as I know all the Rad bikes use a Bafang hub drive but I'm not sure on the model. Grin technologies has a listing of the most common ones and the motor site will give you all of the above referenced data.

SemperVee

Thanks for taking the time to review the upgrade.  Was thinking of doing it along with bigger chain ring when we come off warranty in a few months.

Great comprehensive review.  The best of any I have read.  Good on ya!    I highly recommend the HB's sold off Amazon for comfort and usability of a handlebar mirror.  With the stock HB's I could not see behind me.  I am 5 10 x 215 lbs and muscular.   Including a pic of mine for example.

Altema

Thank you very much, and good looking bike. That mirror definitely solves the problem of not being able to see around your arm!