News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radwagon 4 kickstand springs are weak - replaced with stronger springs

Started by davidlai, November 01, 2020, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

davidlai

I've had my radwagon 4 for about a month and I love it.  But the first problem appeared: the kickstand spring broke.  I checked on the springs and I see the problem is they are too "weak" for this particular usage.  Here is a picture of the spring that broke off (I was unable to find the 2nd spring, assuming it also broke in the same way):
rad003a.jpeg
As you can see the spring end "stretched" to the point of not hooking, and then popped off while I was riding.

The spring measures 1/2" diameter by 3" long.  See pics:
rad100a.jpeg
rad101a.jpeg

My thinking is that the 1/2" spring is too weak.  I went to the hardware store and purchased a couple of 3/4" x 3" springs, approx $2-3 each.  I put them on the kickstand and it appears to work OK.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these much stronger springs will do the job.  Pics: (sorry was unable to get a good angle on these replacement springs)
rad102a.jpeg
rad104a.jpeg

Also a suggestion, keep a spare bungee cord with.  I was able to continue riding my bike after losing the springs by bungee-ing up the kickstand.  See pic:
rad002a.jpeg

Ryan