News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

One benefit of a hub motor...

Started by Altema, October 23, 2020, 09:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

Is bringing you all the way home if you suffer drivetrain damage!

Last night I was trapped on a bike trail by a sudden water main break. The trail is sandwiched between a highway and a fence, and the only way out was now a running river. I forded it on the bike, cutting though an opening in the fence to escape into a parking lot, and the derailleur caught on a curbstone. It was bent enough that the chain was rubbing against the tire. I shifted to a higher gear so the chain wouldn't rub, then went the rest of the way home on throttle only, with the hub motor unaffected by any drivetrain damage. Mid-drive have advantages, but I would have had to walk for miles if I had one last night!

I arrived home with ease, rested, then set to work on the derailleur. The hanger was not bent (was going real slow), but the jockey and idler pulley cage was. I bent every thing back to proper alignment, then reset the limit screws and re-indexed the system. It's working fine now, and I'm ready for my next ride!

fin_rad

Imagine all this happened while driving a French made car. :)

But yes this is why I love hub motors!

Altema

Quote from: fin_rad on October 23, 2020, 09:52:23 AM
Imagine all this happened while driving a French made car. :)

But yes this is why I love hub motors!
A French car... with English electrics from Lucas!