News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Is this 750W Bafang motor compatible with my Radrunner 1?

Started by FortunatelyTheMilk, October 12, 2020, 12:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

FortunatelyTheMilk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0863524HS?pf_rd_r=4S9C4FMXFRJSN2330R0W&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

I've been looking at alternative vendors for a 750W upgrade motor, and I spotted this one. It states it will fit a 175mm dropout, which looks to be the right size, but I'm not sure if the cassette type is right for the RR?

I'd be a little cautious about the seller. Bolton Bikes list the model number as Model:  RMG06 48V750W(6), do a search for that and see what you find.

Now does this motor actually fit the RR1, kind of. The motor is an easy switch out in the casing, just undo the screws and pull out the motor and drop in the new one. But the axle is a bit wider by about 3/8 of an inch so the frame has to be spread apart to get the wheel in, not much but a little. This does allow for an upgrade 5 or7 speed  cassette but you'll still have to buy a derailuer and shifter. And also a new controller is needed.

Anybody know what this means:
7.Cultch is used on drive unit,more safty

Count

I bought my 750w Baffang motor from Electric Bike World ($258 in stock).  Good company, on par with Bolton. They have controllers as well.  You don't need to change the controller to use this motor, but I would suggest you do!  My motor came with a 7 gear cassette, which you will need, because the chain does not line up with the new motor with the old gear installed.  Make certain you get that version. Also, this prepares for the future if you ever want to add shifting ability.  Lastly be certain you get a TRUE 750w motor. Many out there (like Rad) are calling their 500w motors 750, and they are not.  When you remove the cover off of both motors, be very careful. I suggest a heat gun, and you must have the proper security bit for the screws (Harbor Freight has them). You DON'T want to strip the heads, and they are tight!

Quote from: FortunatelyTheMilk on October 12, 2020, 12:59:02 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0863524HS?pf_rd_r=4S9C4FMXFRJSN2330R0W&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

I've been looking at alternative vendors for a 750W upgrade motor, and I spotted this one. It states it will fit a 175mm dropout, which looks to be the right size, but I'm not sure if the cassette type is right for the RR?

Altema

It's just a thought, but you may want to upgrade the controller first, and see if you still want more power after that. I still have the original motor, and it pushes up to 1200 watts on acceleration. I can't let my wife ride it now because I know the power would scare her.

FortunatelyTheMilk

Quote from: Count on October 19, 2020, 11:48:02 AM
I bought my 750w Baffang motor from Electric Bike World ($258 in stock).  Good company, on par with Bolton. They have controllers as well.  You don't need to change the controller to use this motor, but I would suggest you do!  My motor came with a 7 gear cassette, which you will need, because the chain does not line up with the new motor with the old gear installed.  Make certain you get that version. Also, this prepares for the future if you ever want to add shifting ability.  Lastly be certain you get a TRUE 750w motor. Many out there (like Rad) are calling their 500w motors 750, and they are not.  When you remove the cover off of both motors, be very careful. I suggest a heat gun, and you must have the proper security bit for the screws (Harbor Freight has them). You DON'T want to strip the heads, and they are tight!

As it happens, I've got the 35A controller and KT display from them already. Shipping overseas is expensive, so I'll wait a while before ordering, but it's good to know it fits the RadRunner frame!