News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadWagon 4 Kickstand Springs

Started by jasonash, October 09, 2020, 07:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jasonash

It's funny. The new help topic from Rad shows them installing the springs rotated exactly 180 degrees out from where they are installed from the factory.

For example, here is a picture that goPam posted showing her failed spring, which is exactly how I discovered mine failing. Notice how the spring ends are installed as to come up from the bottom through the holes:

But if you look at the help topic from Rad, they show them installed in a rotated orientation with the ends of the springs inserted into the top of the holes instead of the bottom:

I'm not sure this will make much difference, but I might give it a shot to see what happens. It seems to me that the way the springs are extended and bent when the stand is down will lead them to fail not matter what orientation they are installed, but I'll give it a try.

They sent me two extra pairs of springs, which I find interesting. Maybe the factory installed the springs backwards from spec?

Pelagic

For what it's worth:  My new RW4 was delivered about three weeks ago with the upper hooks of the springs facing forward and the lower hooks facing aft.  After many kickstand cycles, they are still in perfect condition!

MN_Drew

Thanks for this thread!

My Radwagon 4 just had the spring shear off at about the 70 mile mark. Fortunately I had been messing with the brake pads and had my hex keys with me as a result. Would have been SOL 6 miles from home if I didn't have them! Haven't done a replacement yet but I need to. Getting tired of having no kickstand-- it's a heavy bike to not have one, extra difficult when I have stuff in my baskets.

Antti L

My Radwagon was delivered at the end of September. I have about 270 km on the odometer and yesterday I noticed that one of the springs was missing, so I am experiencing the same issue. Even with both springs the kickstand has a tendency to bang around while riding even over small bumps. This is annoying. I noticed that if I have a passenger on the back then the kickstand does not make any sound. Maybe the extra weight of the passenger dampens the motion of the back of the bike?

nolanwells

I got this as an alternative while I figure out my kickstand problem:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1034753207/standkeeper-for-radwagon-4

It works reasonably well but does occasionally pop out when I'm going fast over larger bumps in the road.

I think combining this to take some of the stress off of the springs will be a good approach