News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Brake lever reach adjustment?

Started by TerryV6, March 27, 2020, 01:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

TerryV6

My wife has a rad mini step thru.  She says that the brake lever reach is not comfortable for her smaller hands.  Is there an adjustment here that I could do, to bring the lever closer to the handlebar?

Thanks

Ryan

You can likely buy some new brake levers made for small hands, but I'd first try adjusting the position (likely higher) of the brakes first. Let us know how it goes.

TerryV6

I followed Ryan's suggestion and that seemed to do the trick.  She's happy, so I'm happy. Thanks

Ryan

Quote from: TerryV6 on April 26, 2020, 06:58:37 PM
I followed Ryan's suggestion and that seemed to do the trick.  She's happy, so I'm happy. Thanks

Glad to hear it!

msl

Hi.
I'm having the same problem with not being able to reach the brake lever easily.
I'm not mechanically inclined at all. Is there somewhere I could see how to do this brake adjustment?
Thanks.

wkindred

Quote from: TerryV6 on April 26, 2020, 06:58:37 PM

terryv6 -

can you outline the procedure you used to move brake levers for the user "msl" above? thanks!

Altema

If it helps, I attached a photograph of the screw that lets you rotate the brake lever to a better position. The screw is a 5 millimeter allen head screw, and you only need to give it half a turn counterclockwise to loosen the brake lever. When you get the lever adjusted, just give the screw a half turn back!

For reference, the photo was taken looking up at the underside of the handlebars. That white patch at the top of the photo is my ceiling!

msl

Thank you for your reply. I've looked at it and am afraid to touch it because there is a warning sticker telling me not to.
I need the lever to come in significantly to be able to use it... it is so far out I can barely reach it with two fingers. Before I mess with it, I'm wondering if maybe I could buy brake levers that would fit small hands? I've found some online but not sure if they would work or how hard they are to replace/put on.
Thank you.

Altema

Quote from: msl on December 18, 2020, 04:20:05 AM
Thank you for your reply. I've looked at it and am afraid to touch it because there is a warning sticker telling me not to.
I need the lever to come in significantly to be able to use it... it is so far out I can barely reach it with two fingers. Before I mess with it, I'm wondering if maybe I could buy brake levers that would fit small hands? I've found some online but not sure if they would work or how hard they are to replace/put on.
Thank you.
The warning sticker is is for the cable adjustment screws, which affect the sensitivity of the brake sensors that turn on the brake light and turn off the motor when brakes are applied. If these are misadjusted, there is the potential safety hazard of the motor remaining on while you are trying to stop. 

The screw that was circled in my picture is for the mounting clamp, and the nut next to that is for the lever pivot screw. But, there is nothing wrong with being cautious, and no one wants you to do anything you are uncomfortable with. You still have several choices though:
1. Have a certified bike mechanic at a shop adjust the position for you (it will probably be free).
2. Have the bike shop replace the levers with a different size.
3. Contact Rad regarding the problem and ask them for options.

Another more expensive option is upgrading to hydraulic brakes which can be operated with one finger on the (usually) smaller levers. However, you would need to find a version that includes the safety sensors. You local bike shop may be able to help with this as well.