News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rover Step-Thru Upgrades

Started by spyder918, September 28, 2020, 01:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

spyder918

I just got my RR Step-Thru a few weeks and this thing has me feeling like a kid again!  One of my best buys in a long time.  Anyways, I got the mod bug and did a few upgrades -

Shimano pedals - Just wanted something a bit grippier and thinner.  You can also adjust the pins to make the pedals more/less grippier. 

Shimano 4 piston hydraulic brakes - Probably one of the best upgrades so far.  Braking is night and day compared to the stock Tektro brakes.  It took a bit to run the cable through the frame and re-bleed but it's well worth the effort and much quieter too, almost no sound at all.  I'm selling a set where I messed up one of the cable ends in the classified section - https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,478.0.html

Spank Industries Handlebar and Stem - This too dramatically changed the feel of the bike for me.  I don't have the longest arms and the stock handlebar was just a bit too high and far out for me.  After a long ride I could really feel my shoulders starting to burn.  The handlebar and stem combo I got lowers the stance and shortens my reach as well.  It feels amazing and comfortable now.  I also like the more aggressive and lower stanced look to the bike overall as well.  If you do decide to change the stem, just be careful with the sizing because the stock Rad display bracket isn't wide enough to accommodate a lot of aftermarket stems. 

Before

After

Bolton Controller Upgrade - This is probably the number 1 upgrade for me with the Shimano brakes being 2nd best.  This upgrade has completely changed the feel of the bike for me.  The torque is truly amazing.  The bike just feels quicker and more nimble.  This should've came like this from Rad!  I just got the latest controller and it looks like the layout has been updated as well.  The speedometer is a bit buggy but I'm still playing with the settings so hopefully I can iron that piece out.  Other than that, install was pretty straight forward.  Everything was plug and play.  I did have to play with how to mount the controller unit itself a bit, but got it on pretty solid using a combination of the bolts/screws, industrial velcro, and tie straps.  The bracket for the display is also wider than the stock one which is great if you want to change to an aftermarket stem.  I definitely won't be going back to stock!

Everything I installed was straight forward.   Everything bolted right on and I'm no bike mechanic by any means.  I'm an IT guy..haha.  This is probably the first time I've ever worked on a bike before.  YouTube is the best!  I definitely won't go back to the stock parts these replaced.

Count

Do yourself a favor and buy a true 1000w Baffang hub motor.  The difference is dramatic, almost too much so.  I had to make some adjustments, because I was getting unwanted wheelies when I hit the throttle!Highly recommended, and a pretty easy swap!  Bolton has a video on this exchange for the RadRover!

Ryan

I really like the new look. Curious about the brakes. Do you worry at all not having the motor shutoffs?

RadJohn

Quote from: Count on September 29, 2020, 02:12:09 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a true 1000w Baffang hub motor...

How about the issue of legality for those of us who live in the United States?

In 2002 US law HB 727 was enacted by Congress and defined "low speed electric bicycles (like the ones currently sold by Rad Power Bikes in the US) as non-motorized vehicles not subject to laws requiring licensing, insurance and helmet use (among others) as long as they had electric motors of less than 750 Watts (~1 horsepower) which couldn't propel them at more than 20 MPH on a paved level surface with a 170 pound rider solely on motor power alone.

15 U.S. Code § 2085 - Low-speed electric bicycles and 16 C.F.R. Part 1512 went further in defining legalities, particularly as they applied to manufacturers. These later regulations might leave a bit of leeway in terms of what kind of modifications individuals may make to their bikes after they buy them, BUT THE 750 WATT/20 MPH MAXIMUMS ARE CAST IN STONE, anything more is a moped, motorcycle or some other kind of motor vehicle subject to all laws governing those classes and their operators.

Our Ebikes might be very hard to get licensed as road legal motor vehicles as their construction and and components might not meet the more stringent performance/safety testing requirements of those higher speed machines. 

Violations can get very expen$ive, and result in confiscation of contraband Ebikes in some localities.

Sorry to be a party pooper, it's just the law (and our cohorts in Canada and Europe are faced with even lower limits).

So why do 100 Watt motors exist? They would be legal for use on private property (your back yard or 5000 acre ranch in Montana) or by the military or other government agency. The MIGHT be legal for use "off road", on public/BLM/OHV park lands in some states if not specifically excluded from certain areas. The federal laws just prohibit their use on public roads, and most state laws would exclude them from use on most public trails as they would not be covered by the non-motor vehicle exemptions sometimes granted to Ebike classes like 1 or 2. 

spyder918

Quote from: Ryan on September 29, 2020, 06:18:18 PM
I really like the new look. Curious about the brakes. Do you worry at all not having the motor shutoffs?

Thanks!  Oh I plan on reinstalling the brake sensors.  Unfortunately the only ones I could find that are 2 prong and fit are in China.  So I'm currently waiting for them.  Riding without them currently really hasn't caused any issues either.

Ryan

Quote from: spyder918 on September 29, 2020, 11:06:49 PM
Quote from: Ryan on September 29, 2020, 06:18:18 PM

Thanks!  Oh I plan on reinstalling the brake sensors.  Unfortunately the only ones I could find that are 2 prong and fit are in China.  So I'm currently waiting for them.  Riding without them currently really hasn't caused any issues either.

Cool, would really like to see some pictures of that when you get them. That's a sticking point for many people looking to upgrade their Rad brakes.

Count

Wow you really ARE a party pooper!  I imagine you wear a helmet, shoes with steel toes, motorcycle leathers, gloves, and wrist, elbow and knee guards when you ride your bike!  With all due respect, sir, my bike has a class 2 sticker on it, and I am CERTAIN few cops would have any idea what that means, and how it may apply to an ebike, and the law, and NONE could tell the difference between a 750w and 1000w motor, visually (nether can I!).  Additionally, for your edification, a 750w motor and a 1000w motor likely will compete directly in speed.  More watts does not equal more speed, it equals more torque!  If you want speed, you increase the voltage.  As I have explained, I ride on the beach (legally), and the extra umph of the 1000w motor gets me through soft sand much better, and does so with no noticeable increase in speed.  Now, given that I have a 1000w hub motor in rear, AND a 1000w hub motor in front, I may be stretching it a bit, but heck, for me, that is the fun in this sport/hobby/pasttime.    Interestingly, even RAD advertises their motor as 1000w, and so I can say that i have the same wattage motor as the manufacturer states is on stock bikes!  You enjoy yourself, safely, and I will do the same!  I bet I have more fun, though!

Quote from: RadJohn on September 29, 2020, 07:36:28 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a true 1000w Baffang hub motor...

How about the issue of legality for those of us who live in the United States?

In 2002 US law HB 727 was enacted by Congress and defined "low speed electric bicycles (like the ones currently sold by Rad Power Bikes in the US) as non-motorized vehicles not subject to laws requiring licensing, insurance and helmet use (among others) as long as they had electric motors of less than 750 Watts (~1 horsepower) which couldn't propel them at more than 20 MPH on a paved level surface with a 170 pound rider solely on motor power alone.

15 U.S. Code § 2085 - Low-speed electric bicycles and 16 C.F.R. Part 1512 went further in defining legalities, particularly as they applied to manufacturers. These later regulations might leave a bit of leeway in terms of what kind of modifications individuals may make to their bikes after they buy them, BUT THE 750 WATT/20 MPH MAXIMUMS ARE CAST IN STONE, anything more is a moped, motorcycle or some other kind of motor vehicle subject to all laws governing those classes and their operators.

Our Ebikes might be very hard to get licensed as road legal motor vehicles as their construction and and components might not meet the more stringent performance/safety testing requirements of those higher speed machines. 

Violations can get very expen$ive, and result in confiscation of contraband Ebikes in some localities.

Sorry to be a party pooper, it's just the law (and our cohorts in Canada and Europe are faced with even lower limits).

So why do 100 Watt motors exist? They would be legal for use on private property (your back yard or 5000 acre ranch in Montana) or by the military or other government agency. The MIGHT be legal for use "off road", on public/BLM/OHV park lands in some states if not specifically excluded from certain areas. The federal laws just prohibit their use on public roads, and most state laws would exclude them from use on most public trails as they would not be covered by the non-motor vehicle exemptions sometimes granted to Ebike classes like 1 or 2.

spyder918

Do yourself a favor and buy a true 1000w Baffang hub motor.  The difference is dramatic, almost too much so.  I had to make some adjustments, because I was getting unwanted wheelies when I hit the throttle!Highly recommended, and a pretty easy swap!  Bolton has a video on this exchange for the RadRover!

Man, if I knew how I would.  Some of the videos I've seen, swapping the motor just seems painful...bleh.  Where do you live?..haha.

spyder918

Can the moderator/admin just close this thread?  I can see where this is going.  Another forum pissing contest. I was just trying to share my upgrades..geez..smh.

pnoeth

I have learned a couple of things thanks to RadJohn. I did not know about the laws that pertain to electric bicycles. Very informative. Thank you. I have also learned that you can count on people who think they are above the law.

Ryan

Hi all, let's keep the forum friendly. Any comments should be kept to family room talk. Ie you're stepping into someone else's house (In this case a giant family room full of Rad enthusiasts) and having a conversation. If you wouldn't say it there, then don't type it here. Be respectful.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Count

If calling someone a "party pooper", when they have already referred to themselves as a "party pooper" is the worst name I am ever called, well I would be happy with that.  Frankly I saw no conflict, and just 2 differing opinions.  That is not a pissing contest, it is a difference of perspective.  Are any of you folks "car guys".  I would suspect so.  Why would you built a hot rod, modify an engine, or buy a 800 HP Hellcat, If you cannot drive faster than 70 MPH legally?  It is a rhetorical question...

I appreciate all of the excellent comments, and differing opinions here!  You don't have to like everything I do, and me-you, in order to enjoy the brotherhood we appear to here.  Peace.

spyder918

Just a quick update.  I finally received the higo brake sensors from China...took forever!  I'm surprised no one in the US carries these.  I was able to mount these to my Shimano brake levers without any issues.  I used JB Weld to glue the sensor and the magnet and it works perfect!

Altema

Quote from: spyder918 on November 19, 2020, 01:49:06 AM
Just a quick update.  I finally received the higo brake sensors from China...took forever!  I'm surprised no one in the US carries these.  I was able to mount these to my Shimano brake levers without any issues.  I used JB Weld to glue the sensor and the magnet and it works perfect!
Nice setup with the brake sensors! Do you have a picture of your front hub motor? Sound interesting. Do you cruise control on the new controller? It's one of my favorite features.

spyder918

[/quote]
Nice setup with the brake sensors! Do you have a picture of your front hub motor? Sound interesting. Do you cruise control on the new controller? It's one of my favorite features.
[/quote]

Oh thanks!  Front hub motor?..not sure I understand what part you're referring to.