News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

possible water damage.

Started by how, September 22, 2020, 11:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

how

Hey folks
I have a 2 month old 2020 fat tired Rad rover step thru and 5 days ago after running into my first rain with this e bike I started having problems. When the rain started I was 20 km from home.
I covered my lcd and its controller on my handlebars with freezer bags and some elastic bands which was recommended to me to help protect against rain.
10 Minutes more of riding and my power shut off. It restarted after I rebooted it but failed again 5 minutes later. Then it started shutting down for 5 - 10 minutes at a time where nothing could restart it during that time. That was followed by an intermittent grinding and shaking from the motor when ever I was starting off or traveling at a low speed but would dissipate at moderate or high speeds.
When I finally pedaled home ( under no power) I dried off the bike with toweling, a heater and a fan over night. I opened up and re checked every electrical connection the next day because my led had shown a fault code of 21 a couple of times during the rain storm. Everything seemed ok but the next day I continued to have power shut downs and the same intermittent grinding and shaking.
I have put in a request for help from Radpower on the last two consecutive days but have not received any call back yet. Very disappointing considering how helpful and attentive they were to my previous emails during the purchasing process.

Has anyone else had problems after riding in the rain? I live in a coastal city with pretty unpredictable rainy weather so even though I have loved this bike up until that rain shower, I am now wondering if I should have chosen a better water protected e bike over the Rad rover. Has anybody here done anything to better waterproof their bikes?

fin_rad

I have been riding few times on a very heavy rain, maybe 10-15 mins. Also while heavy snowing, so snow has melted and turned into water around the cables etc. Once felt off and bike ended partially on salty sea water. I recall only the hub motor and perhaps controller went under water for few seconds. Also for few nights my bike has been under light rain, because I forgot to put the cover on.

I guess I am very lucky since no electrical problems so far. Bike is 2019 RadRhino (750W EU if that matters anything).

wkindred

hi how!

check out this rad power "error 21 troubleshooting guide".

not sure if you'll find the answers you need but is a good start -

https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015396794-Error-21-Troubleshooting-Guide

- will

how

Quote from: wkindred on September 23, 2020, 05:45:36 AM
hi how!

check out this rad power "error 21 troubleshooting guide".

not sure if you'll find the answers you need but is a good start -

https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015396794-Error-21-Troubleshooting-Guide

- will
Thanks will.
I first tried all of Rad power's pre recorded stock answers in regards to a fault code 21. There is a pizza delivery company nearby that uses a fleet of Rad power bikes in all sorts of weather without any specific water related issues so I think this problem is specific to my bike. It could also be That I have a motor issue that is exasperated around high humidity but I'm guessing because the problem is intermittent and Rad is only saying they've received my messages without actually getting back to me on any of them.
I can still drive my bike right now but what point is a help department if they won't even return polite courtesy calls on one of their brand new 2 month old flagship e bikes?

sc00ter

I was told by a local ebike shop to put dielectric grease on every connector, regardless of who made said ebike. I have yet to seal all my connectors (friend borrowed my dielectric grease) but my RadRunner has gotten wet already and nothing has happened. Eight miles is heavy rain. Pull all the connectors and make sure their dry then dielectric grease all of them. Could be a damp connector causing intermittent connection.

Altema

I've ridden in the rain a few times, one of them was for several miles in steady rain. No issues. Rad indicates rain, puddles, and splashes are fine, as long as you don't submerge the bike. Even the box shows a family riding IN a creek, so it may be that your Rad's water resistance left the factory with some flaws, possibly on the controller.