News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Partial battery charge????

Started by Tim50, September 22, 2020, 07:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tim50

I have followed the battery charging recommendations in the owners manual. My question is can I do a partial charge without hurting the battery? I'm down to two bars & would like three or four but don't have time for a full charge.  Thanks for any input!!

Dan B

Yes you can. Just follow the new battery break in sequence and once that is complete you can charge as necessary. I do not believe these batteries build up a memory like older style rechargeable batteries do. Informationo Check the charger cables, charger, and battery for damage before beginning each charge.o Always charge in dry, indoor locations away from direct sunlight, dirt, or debris.o Charge in a clear area away from potential to trip on the charging cords or for damage to occur to the bike, battery, orcharging equipment while parked and/or charging.o The battery can be recharged on or off the bike.o To remove the battery, turn the key to the off and unlocked position (see the Start-Up Procedure section of this manualfor more details) and then carefully pull the battery forward and up until the battery detaches from the receptacle.o The battery should be recharged after each use, so it is ready to go the full range per charge next ride. There is nomemory effect, so charging the battery after short rides will not cause damage.o The charge indicator lights on the charger will stay red while the battery charges and one will turn green when charge iscomplete. Ensure the lights face upwards when using the charger.o The charger will automatically stop charging when the battery is full.o Charging the battery fully normally takes 3-7 hours. In rare cases, it may take longer to allow the battery managementsystem to balance the battery, particularly when the bike is new or after long periods of storage.o Do not charge the battery for more than 12 hours at a time or leave a charging battery unattended.Do not cover up the charger when plugged in or charging. It air cools and needs to be on a hard, flat surface in anopen space. Use the charger with the indicator light facing upwards. Do not use with the charger inverted, which caninhibit cooling and reduce charger lifespan.If the battery is physically damaged, non-functional, preforming abnormally, or was dropped or involved in a crash,with or without obvious signs of damage, please discontinue use and charging and contact Rad Power Bikesimmediately.Do not open the battery housing, which will void the warranty and can result in damage to the battery, property

Tim50

Altema

Dan B is correct: there is no memory effect with these batteries. I have the RadMini 4, and I charge the battery partially in the car while driving back from state parks. There has been no issues at all after 475 miles.

Mudder

Just saw on the Rad site on Battery Info that stating charging at partial battery levels promotes longer life than charging a depleted level.
" A full charge cycle is from completely empty to completely full. Discharging the battery halfway and recharging back to full is only half a charge cycle. You can discharge the battery 50% and charge it back up to 100% twice to equal one complete charge cycle. If you only discharge the battery halfway before recharging normally, your battery will last for twice as many trips!"