News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Hard time deciding Rover 5 vs Runner 1 / plus

Started by KWA Colo, March 09, 2021, 01:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

KWA Colo

I'm looking to get a Rad model, made up mind to that point. I have some questions I don't see addressed online elsewhere and would like some real work experience from owners if you could help, please. Background:

What I plan to do with it:
- causal rides with family
- short commutes / errands (some hilly areas, I'll describe how big later)
- get some exercise (previous major knee surgery, healed, but sort of concerned, thus the e-bike!)
- I'm getting close to 50 years old and about 180lb if that helps
- Live in northern Colorado

I took a drive up the steepest hill I'd probably have to ascend, and most routes would include at least 1 hill of this size or less (this is the biggest).  In my car, I measured it as 0.45 miles and the elevation rises 200 feet over that almost half a mile. This is the biggest concern I have about model choices.

I lean towards the base model RadRunner 1 but am concerned about the single gear.  But I like the idea of my youngest 9 (being able to hop on with me, or girlfriend's 6 year old)....plus the built in rack and able to take the console is a plus. I'd miss the LCD on the base model I think. The 1199 price is also very tempting over the RadRunner plus, but has the built in stuff for the kids / cargo.

My second choice is the RadRover 5, it just seems like it would meet every need with the exception of a possible passenger and could add a rack. It seems the 5 may be the overall logical choice and is the "classic" rad.

Does anyone have advice or similar use cases????  Thanks in advance!

sc00ter

I did a mini-review on the Rad Runner 1. I'm on flat ground almost exclusively so I cannot comment on hills. But the single speed will just start winding out on max intervention, meaning you will start to hamster wheel a bit. But the 'Runner 1 is so simple. Nothing breaks or goes wrong on mine, except the evil flat! As a friend of mine says,"It's always the rear wheel, always the rear.", but at the price I have zero regrets with my purchase. The Plus model was not "officially" released when I ordered my 'Runner 1 BUT if I could do it over again I'd still order a 1/base model. I do get to try gears soon. I have a Rad Mini Step-Thru that just shipped out today. Bought it for someone else but I'm gonna give it a good shake down and make sure it's 100% good to go before delivering it. Others will chime in on their experiences. Oh, and welcome!

KWA Colo

Dan

I got a Rover 5 this winter, and it climbs the hills here in Vermont without a problem (paved, dirt and xc ski trails).  I'm delighted with it.   I have a bike trailer to carry a grandchild and groceries.   But you'll need a heavy-duty bike rack, like the Hollywood, to transport the bike unless you can fit it inside your car or truck.

Altema

Quote from: KWA Colo on March 09, 2021, 01:38:10 PM
I took a drive up the steepest hill I'd probably have to ascend, and most routes would include at least 1 hill of this size or less (this is the biggest).  In my car, I measured it as 0.45 miles and the elevation rises 200 feet over that almost half a mile. This is the biggest concern I have about model choices.
Good input from Sc00ter and Dan. The .45 mile hill you mentioned would be a 200 foot rise over 2376 feet, making it a 8.4% grade. I have a similar climb that we actually call "half mile hill", and it's a 7.9% grade. That's not quite as steep as yours, but I was able to drive my RadMini all the way up at a decent speed on motor alone without pedaling (I weighed 195lbs at the time, 180 now 8) ). It's the same motor as the Runner and Rover, so you should be fine on both, though the smaller wheel diameter on the Runner will give a slight mechanical advantage on hill climbs. I do use my gears a lot, but I live in an area with lots of small hills, and I'm used to shifting.