News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

So I'm Fat...

Started by UUSea2shay, September 06, 2020, 08:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

UUSea2shay

and I'm wondering when I get the RadWagon4 if everyone recommends I dont put any extra weight on it until I lose some. Im 6¹ 320lbs right now and definitely steady losing. I figured once the bike gets here that will definitely help with the weight. It'll be my main form of exercise. I guess my question is, I know the weight limit is 350 but will my slightly less fat ass ruin the bike as is?

Altema

Rad bike are overbuilt, so I have no doubt the frame would be fine. My concern would be the seat post and seat. You are rather tall, and the higher the seat is, the less weight the post and seat tube will handle. I also do not know what the limit is for the seat itself or the quick release clamp that holds things up. I would contact Rad directly and ask what the seat limit is, and ask for their recommendations.

Once you do get out and about on your Radwagon, I'm sure you'll see results. Being an e-bike, it encourages you to work harder and go further. I got the best workout in ten years when I got my Rad bike, and it felt good.

Gene Pozniakoff

I weigh 275 and have a lot of equipment added on to my Rad City. I've had no issues.  Frequent and proper maintenance will alleviate many weight related issues: spoke care, derailleur adjustment, tire inflation and brake adjustment. Good luck and have fun.

Rjbur007

I have not read the specs yet on the new RadWagon.  I have a 2018 Rad Wagon with a Direct Drive motor and although it is marketed as a 750 watt bike, it is more like a 500 watt bike that can peek to 750 but no extra power between 500-750.  I found the manufacture specifications on the motor and it's a 500 watt motor.

Also, being a direct drive it lacks the torque needed for hills and I'm 215 pounds.  Yes it gets me up the hill but I have to help it along...

If I had to do it over again I would get the RadRover fat tire.  More comfortable ride and more torque and power in the motor.  The Regen of direct drive motors is not worth the loss of torque.  If I keep my RadWagon, I'm changing the motor...

So I would say, get the RadRover with fenders and a rack...  but ask Rad Power what they think....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan

Quote from: UUSea2shay on September 06, 2020, 08:31:18 PM
and I'm wondering when I get the RadWagon4 if everyone recommends I dont put any extra weight on it until I lose some. Im 6¹ 320lbs right now and definitely steady losing. I figured once the bike gets here that will definitely help with the weight. It'll be my main form of exercise. I guess my question is, I know the weight limit is 350 but will my slightly less fat ass ruin the bike as is?

You should be fine. Make sure the spokes the spokes are tight. We've definitely put our 2018 RadWagon through its paces, pushing the weight limit: 2 adults and a small child. I'll be curious to check out the RadWagon 4 but it should be even more sturdy with some of the changes. Congrats on the weight loss and getting more exercise. Love to hear stories like this.

Altema

Quote from: Ryan on September 11, 2020, 10:05:52 AM
Quote from: UUSea2shay on September 06, 2020, 08:31:18 PM

You should be fine. Make sure the spokes the spokes are tight. We've definitely put our 2018 RadWagon through its paces, pushing the weight limit: 2 adults and a small child. I'll be curious to check out the RadWagon 4 but it should be even more sturdy with some of the changes. Congrats on the weight loss and getting more exercise. Love to hear stories like this.
I'm fully confident that the RadWagon can handle the weight. My only concern is that 2 adults and a child are going to be distributed weight across the seat and the rack, which is an integral part of the frame. In our friend's scenario, one person is going to have focused weight on a single point, and the Velo Plush seat has bent with less than 200 lbs.  I just don't want our friend to find himself in a situation, and if it were me, I'd get a stronger seat and verify the post limits with Rad.

Oledawg

:) I ride a rad mini and a Rad city step thru, I weight 326lbs and carry a few things in panniers on my racks and an occassional small cooler on the front mini rack
I get about 30mi range on #2 setting using #3 for hills on both bikes that's mostly paved and hard gravel paths . I keep spokes tight and air pressure up.
I don't jump curves and go easy on pot holes and large bumps 2years plus and so far so good. May acquire 2nd battery's for longer rides. my mini and city use different batteries.
Wish they were the same. May buy a third bike to offset the battery cost.  Maybe a rad rover
G$