Author Topic: peanut buttering or melting and stripping gears  (Read 4975 times)

ejonesss

• View Profile
peanut buttering or melting and stripping gears
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:23:33 AM »
there is a failure of the bafang bbshd where one of the nylon gears melt and strip out when put under heavy loads for a long time i was wondering if a similar thing happens to the bafang hub that rad uses if the gears wear out very quickly when under heavy load for long times like climbing up steep long hills?

• View Profile
Re: peanut buttering or melting and stripping gears
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 06:10:41 PM »
The bafang bbshd are a mid drive motor where Rad uses a hub motor so they are two very different systems that can’t be compared. But yes hill climbing will over heat a motor and shorten its live.

What you have read about melting gears is related to mid drive motors, power and user abuse. This is happening to bikes with 48v 25a controllers on a 1000 w motor well above the class 2 bikes Rad sells. The rider is applying  to much torque at low or no speed ( wheelies and burn outs) and because of the power of these motors the plastic gears are being stripped out then spinning at high speed to make it look like it melted.

The torque on a hub motor isn’t any where near that of a mid drive so you would have to be asking a lot of a hub motor to over heat the motor or strip the gears.

ejonesss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 04:31:08 AM »
what i was wanting to know is if bafang or 8fun learned it's lesson from the mid drive flaws and maybe formulated the nylon for the hub motor gears any better so you would burn out the motor or controller long before melting or stripping the gears

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »
I can’t speak for the manufacturer but given it is a none issue for hub motors I would say no.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »