News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself!

Started by Ryan, November 28, 2018, 08:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

DutchRadler

Hello,

As you may see from my username, I am from the Netherlands and I have got the package with my new RadWagon. I have yet to put things together. I found the forum by coincidence, actually.
I will have a look around in the different topics.

Kind regards
Harry

tacomanatx

Just joined Forum-
I ride bikes- MTB, Road and Gravel so I got the ebike for tooling around the neighborhood, occasional run to the Grocery Store or the pub.

Owned an original RadWagon but recently sold it.  Just never liked it all that much.  Cant specifically say why, likely longer than I wanted for storing, PIA to get in and out of the Garage.  In the end had it 2 years put less than 150 miles on it total.  Sold it last month to a neighbor
Just built and started riding a RadRunner1 and already enjoy it more.  Was planning on using the Panier I had but while it fits on the rear rack it interferes with peddaling so I need to figure that out.

Soweco

Hey there, all.

I'm a new owner of a rad rover plus, in the Southwest US. I'm really looking forward to using the bike around town and on easygoing unpaved trails in the area. This is my first ebike, and is taking some getting used to, but I'm learning as I go. It's certainly very different (and much heavier) than my other rides, and stop-and-go traffic definitely gets  ???my heart rate up. ;) Still, Im more comfortable by the day and enjoying the ride.

I'm glad to find these forums because I expect I will find some answers using the search function!

I hope something good happens to you today,
Soweco

Altema

Quote from: geekxx on November 04, 2021, 02:39:40 PM
Hello!  I am the proud owner of a new Rad Rover 6+!  I picked it up yesterday at the Seattle store. I had to spend 45 minutes out in the rain in the parking lot putting the carrier together so I could get the bike home, but I eventually made it and then spent the rest of the evening attaching the rear rack and rear-view mirror. I finally got a break in the rain earlier this morning and took it out for my first ride. What a blast! I'm looking forward to exploring. Unfortunately it turns out the local trails are off-limits to e-bikes (I literally live less than half a mile from the Duthie Hill mountain bike park), so I'm going to have to figure out other places to ride besides my local streets and the East Lake Sammamish Trail. I would definitely welcome any suggestions on fun places to ride near Seattle's Eastside.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff, too bad about the Duthie Hill park not permitting e-bikes. Not everyone is clear that e-bikes are classified as "non-motorized vehicles", so there's a bit of confusion, but in the end it's the land manager who determines e-bike use for their jurisdiction. Some trails are funded by grants that are specifically for non-motorized trails, and land managers don't want to risk losing the funding. Below is a link to the e-bike page of the "Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance", and that may be of assistance. You can also try "traillinks.com" which has some good tools for finding trails in your area.

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/ebikeaccess

JillGat

I have been (im)patiently waiting for my RadCity to arrive, and it is due tomorrow!  That's good because it's supposed to snow on Saturday and it's been cold, waiting out on the porch all night.  :D  I am hoping I will be able to go on rides now with my husband who rides a "regular" bike 35 miles every morning.  Run errands and do grocery shopping on this thing.  Eventually, I'd like to plan out a long-distance tour on my ebike.  If anybody has links to blogs by people who have done this, I'd be interested.  Anyway, howdy!

Enkidu

This is Zack from southeast Michigan. I am considering getting either a RadMini Step-Thru 2, a RadMini 4 or electrifying my Bike Friday New World Tourist with a kit from Grin Technologies. Joined this forum to help me decide which way to go as I weigh the pros and cons of both systems.

Want to get a folding electric bike so that I can keep it in our van on road trips. And being electrified it would let me go to places out of reach for a pedal bike by extending my range. Also want a bike to take to the local supermarket when the weather is warmer.

We go to Provincetown on Cape Cod every year and I look forward to having an e-bike to explore the trails on the Cape.

Here are some of my travel photos; https://www.flickr.com/photos/10025089@N05/

JimInPT

Quote from: Enkidu on January 05, 2022, 10:21:21 AMThis is Zack from southeast Michigan. I am considering getting either a RadMini Step-Thru 2, a RadMini 4 or electrifying my Bike Friday New World Tourist with a kit from Grin Technologies. Joined this forum to help me decide which way to go as I weigh the pros and cons of both systems.

Hi Zack, welcome!

If you decide to go with a Rad Mini, I highly recommend the Step-Through over the step-over model; I bought the ST and am extremely happy with it.  The frame is very strong to compensate for no upper bar and the arrangement of battery and controller is nicer IMHO especially if you ride in wet or muddy environments or want to add an aftermarket controller/display.  Plus that step-through frame is nice if you have any knee or hip problems, or have something large strapped to a rack on the back.  The one thing I never do with it is fold it, but nice to know I can if I ever need to.

I'd go so far as to say there is no reason at all to prefer the step-over version.  Unfortunately you've just missed a pretty big sale where it could be had for around $1,200 depending on the combined discounts, or $1,150 if buying two of them.  It's gone up $200 back to the old $1,500 price in the new year and we're expecting it to be replaced with a newer model, probably at a "newer" price as well.

Here's my current configuration with a few doo-dads I've added since getting it last March:
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

HokieInIdaho

Hey Wkindred - Don't know if you monitor this anymore, but that's a really cool ride. Hadn't seen that throttle attachment before - thanks for introducing me to it! Just ordered one for my RadRover 6+.

Quote from: wkindred on June 23, 2020, 12:46:31 PM
hi folks!

will, 63 year-old rider from des moines, iowa here. used my "stimulus" check to purchase a radrunner 1 on 4-17-20.

current mods and add-ons include the following:

1859 northwest "ja e-bike throttle attachment"

ergon "gc1 (nexus / rohloff) handgrips"

"save your seat lock"

shimano "pd-gr500 pedals"

rad power "full radrunner fenders"

himiway "ebike headlight"

juiced bikes "scorpion mirrors"

yescom "30l xl tail box"

ironflask "water bottle" in zefal "pulse universal bottle cage"

monster "s310 bluetooth speaker" in zefal "pulse universal bottle cage"

puluz "gopro camera mount"

mobius "maxi hd camera"

gub "plus 6 cell phone mount"

stem captain "clock"

juiced bikes "horn / alarm"

qkurt "bike trailer coupler"

allen sport "yoogo cargo trailer cz2"

retrospec "rover waggin' pet trailer"

bolton "radpower upgrade"

bolton "20 inch suspension fork"

bolton (juin tech) "m1 hydraulic brake calipers"

love the bolton ebikes power upgrade - no increase to the top end but definitely a lot more torque than the stock setup...and has cruise control!

have over 700 miles on the bike since purchased...always sporting a big smile during my cruises!

ride rad!

rsghowellnj

Hello all, I've been riding a good part of my life (both on the road and off-road).  I'm from NJ and spend a bit of time in South Florida as well.  With the gasoline crunch, I needed like so many others, a way of getting around.  I'm a few years from retirement and looking to RV.  The RADExpand 5 seemed to fit the bill for me so I ordered it this past Friday.  Looks like allot of fun.

CostaMoses

Hello! My name is Moses and I live in coastal Southern California - so we have great weather year round, but so many wildfires.  :-\

I just sold my 2018 RadWagon that I had bought on Black Friday 2018. Had over 5K miles on it. Most of them with my 6 year old on the back. It's been so much fun!
I sold my truck, bought the wagon, and now we are a one car family and saving a ton. Luckily I can get pretty much everything I need within walking/biking range, and if not, I just borrow or rent a 2nd car.

I just picked up a new RadRunner + this week. Waiting for passenger bars and rack/large basket to arrive. Already digging it a ton, though it feels so different to the wagon in so many ways.

I look forward to reading more about everyones mods and workarounds. I probably wont change anything too major, but its fun to learn about.

Firemarshal Bill

Newbies here.  We live on an island about 80 miles north of Seattle and drove down to visit the Rad store in Ballard last week.  We are both in our early 70's and have been considering ebikes for some time now, and after test riding several different Rad models at the Rad Store we decided on purchasing 2 Rad Runner Plus models. Two things we will want to change right away on the Rad Runner Plus models are the factory saddle (way too small for either of us) and replacing the long rear passenger seat with a strap-on panniers bag of some sort.  If we go with something like Cloud 9 or Bikeroo over sized seats, will we also have to purchase a different seat post as well? Thanks for your input.  B&D

JimInPT

Quote from: Firemarshal Bill on May 23, 2022, 10:05:27 AMIf we go with something like Cloud 9 or Bikeroo over sized seats, will we also have to purchase a different seat post as well? Thanks for your input.  B&D

Here's a link to a little essay on my seat journey and suspension seatpost; perhaps you'll find some value in there:  https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,1150.msg5683.html#msg5683
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

cerebrix

Hey all whats up.

Second post, and hopefully way more the usual me lol.

My name's Chris.  48 going on 19.  Former video game developer, network engineer, and infosec type person.  Living in Albuquerque, NM these days.

Pandemic's been a little rough on me so, kinda forced to re-evaluate my transportation situation and in an attempt to find a solution, stumbled on ebikes.  Local Rad partnered shop offered me a test drive and I was instantly hooked.  Had been over 20 years since I rode a bike and honestly I was pretty stunned how quickly it all came back.  Took a beautiful ride through the Albuquerque Bosque (seriously, google this or hitup youtube if your'e into nature.  The Bosque is incredible).  Came home, and talked it over with the wife.  Ordered the bike that night.

Getting a Radcity 5 Plus, maybe.  Miight be switching to a Rover.  Suposed to take delivery of the City here in a few days.  But this will be my first attempt at being a bike commuter but I feel like I live in one hell of a place to do it.  Especially since If I pick the furthest place I'd ever want to get to in this town, and then pick another point on the furthest other end of town to find that distance is only 18 miles.  This is a great place to be an ebike commuter I think. 

I'm pretty stoked about it anyways.  These things are pretty damn cool and I can't wait to get started.

RadTexan

Hello- we been in Austin for 30 years now and live in Georgetown, TX for past 2. (Sun City) Just received 2 Rad Express5's for the wife and myself.  I ordered the Cloud9 Cruiser Gel seats, the LCD display, the phone holder so far...seats are an improvement and we like the LCD display also.  Just got the Rad phone holders..not sure about these yet..will install today and see about them. My biggest challenge now is packing them for travel.  We have an Airstream 28' trailer, and "thought" these would be easy to pack along in a plastic ben, between our twin beds...this is proving a bit challenging do to the size of these when folded. I found one size 70 Gal. at Home Depot, that someone here recommended...will try out today.  I have an F250 with a flat folding bed cover, but not sure these will fit unless I lay the bike down...may end up doing that with one.  Was hoping to find a soft side case perhaps, that would cover these and provide some protection rather than a plastic bin, but the handle bars present a challenge when folded.  Seems a solution needing to be developed for this model.  Busy next few days solving this issue.

We summer in WY area outside Jackson in Star Valley Ranch RV Resort, all summer and are looking forward to biking in the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacer in June/July.  We are looking forward to the fun and exercise with these Rad bikes.

Sandy

Sandy here, from Tallahassee, Florida, USA.  I have the Rad mini step thru.  Excellent bike and lots of fun.  I do have a front rack (orange) for sale if anyone is interested in buying? save some $! 

We have some great trails in Tallahassee and the bike allows me to keep up and sometimes challenge by mountain bike-riding husband!  With the fat tires, the kids thinks it looks like a motorcycle.