News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

24 or 20 inch wheel on radwagon4

Started by ejonesss, August 23, 2020, 05:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ejonesss

i was wondering if the radwagon 4 can take a 24 or 20 inch wheel if it will fit?

i am thinking of getting a radwagon 4 but it comes with a geared motor and i want direct drive for regen to save brake pads.

i was wondering if anyone else has tried it or willing to try it to see if it would work.

Ryan

Quote from: ejonesss on August 23, 2020, 05:19:32 PM
i was wondering if the radwagon 4 can take a 24 or 20 inch wheel if it will fit?

i am thinking of getting a radwagon 4 but it comes with a geared motor and i want direct drive for regen to save brake pads.

i was wondering if anyone else has tried it or willing to try it to see if it would work.

I would think not. The frame geometry is meant to handle the specific tire size. As a 2018 RadWagon owner with a regen motor, you're not going to save pads with regen by any noticeable amount. I'm on only my second set of brake pads after 3600 miles. It also is not a significant amount of power savings in my opinion.

ejonesss

i do a lot of hill climbing and stop and go and i burn through pads as if they grew on trees when going down hill.

if the geometry cant support 24 or 20 inch wheels do they make 22 inch rims in less than the 3 inches so it would be standard mount bike widths?

or can i unlace the stock wheel and re use the rim to lace a motor using custom cut spokes?

i am not worried about warranty for a couple reasons.

1. warranty is useless since i cant easily send the bike back due to the lithium battery haz mat rules.

2. warranty voiding mostly applies to the frame cutting and welding

you saying you are on your second set of pads means that you have already saved the pads quite a bit because if the brakes are set up properly the inhibiter switch and regen should kick in long before the pads even touch the disc. most brakes are not designed (as far as i know of) to stop a bike from 20 mph and maintain a speed of maybe 10 mph going down a long hill.

if regen is not going to save the pads then you would have gone through several dozen sets by now and a set a week or 2.

i did have a phoenix brute at one time and i know that it's regen/dynamic braking is very powerful as if i short the phase wires from the motor it was very dificult to push the bike. and that is because the brute is a 2000 watt motor i tried the same thing with a bionx motor that is 360 watts and it barely even worked.

i simply disconnected the motor from the controller and wrapped a piece of foil around the phase wire pins and it worked