News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

adjusting RadRover brakes?

Started by joshmkim, August 20, 2020, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

joshmkim

Just hit 550 miles, and I need to adjust the brakes on my new RadRover. Looking around, I can't find any videos or instructions on brake adjustment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ryan

There is nothing that makes the RadRover brakes different from any mechanical disc brakes on the market. I don't have my own video yet, but if you go on YouTube there are tons of helpful guides. The idea is that you loosen the bolts on the brakes so that it can move around freely. Then hold down the brake and keep holding while you tighten the brake bolts you loosened. This *should* center the disc in the pads. It's not always perfect though and it can be tedious to adjust. I've accepted that it is never perfect at this point. You also have an adjustment on the inside pad where you can turn in/out the position of the pad itself using a hex key. Hope this helps!

Altema

If you do need to center the brake caliper over the disc, then Ryan's method is excellent. To compensate for wear, there are three adjustment points that you can use on Rad bikes. One is the inside pad, and this should be adjusted until the inside pad is almost touching the disc. Remember that the adjuster has six detents or "notches" as you turn it (you will feel them), and you should make sure the final position is in one of these detents so the adjuster holds it's position.

For the outside pad (the only pad the moves), you can use the barrel adjuster on the brake lever, or the other one down by the caliper. I prefer to adjust the one by the caliper, which leaves me free to adjust the easier top one on the road if needed.