News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Motor noise

Started by darjohn, August 19, 2020, 02:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

darjohn

We bought a Rad City step through just a year ago.  We also have another Rad City.  We are very happy with both bikes, but just today, the step through started making a high pitched humming sound that appears to be coming from the motor.  It makes the noise even when the battery is removed from the bike.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm really not sure if it's the motor or the controller,

Ryan

It seems a bit odd that it doesn't make the noise without the battery. Try flipping the bike over and spinning the wheel. That might help you narrow down where it is coming from. Could be the brakes too.

Altema

If it makes the noise without the battery, then I would suspect the reduction gears inside the hub motor. Contact Rad support and suggest it might be the gears, and they can confirm or work towards finding the actual cause.

RadJohn

Quote from: Altema on September 02, 2020, 08:54:33 AM...I would suspect the reduction gears inside the hub motor...

The direct drive motor in a RadCity doesn't have reduction gears.