Author Topic: Rad Runner Mods  (Read 713 times)

Bob Mc

• View Profile
Rad Runner Mods
« on: August 13, 2020, 03:37:44 AM »
Some of the mods I made.
Second battery, with a 2P2T switch so I can use one or the other, or turn both off.
Wrapped the cables with swirl wrap, 8mm from Amazon. I think it looks better than the velcro cover.
The new controller from Bolton is a lot wider than original so I made a wider skid plate from aluminum.
The front wheel on the Runner swings all the way to one side or the other when on the center stand and off the ground. I saw a spring on the Rad Cargo Bike that holds the front wheel straight so I put a piece of rubber tubing from the fender bolt to the the frame. It works great, can't feel any control difference when riding.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:40:51 AM by Bob Mc »

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rad Runner Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
Awesome! Guess you'll never have range anxiety on your RadRunner  8)

Is the second battery sitting on a metal plate as well? That's a perfect spot for it.

Bob Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
Howdy, I installed a thin plywood shelf resting on the rear frame crossover and put two small "L" brackets on the downtubes and mounted the metal shelf that came with the battery on the plywood. It uses the battery key lock.
It is really nice not worrying about electrons for getting home.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 01:34:55 AM »
I would be interested in where you got the battery and a schematic of the wiring. Looks cool.

Bob Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »
I would be interested in where you got the battery and a schematic of the wiring. Looks cool.
Howdy. The battery is from Amazon "Unit Pack Power" 48v 15 ah, $308. I had to do a slight frame mod to get it to fit. All dimensions are listed on Amazon so you could probably get one that fits without mods. The schematic drawings are poor. I took a Mechanical drawing class at the U of Fla a few years ago (1960), and lost a lot of lead since then. The DTDP switch is from NAPA, it is rated at 250V 15 amp and 120V 78 Amp, so I figured it would hold 48 volts. After full power for a few minutes it isn't even warm. I like it cuz the batteries are never in parallel, always separate.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
Nice version of an auxiliary tank! Do you power down the display before flipping the switch?

Bob Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 07:56:42 PM »
Nice version of an auxiliary tank! Do you power down the display before flipping the switch?
I do turn off the display, key off the battery that was in use, flip the switch to the other battery, turn on the second battery, then turn on the display. That may be over cautious but works.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 05:13:28 PM »
That's the way I would do it as well. You could technically run them in parallel since both battery packs are the same voltage. They balance out as they drain, but I think I would prefer they way you have it.